For this church:
Balderton St Giles
Features and Fittings
The octagonal font, with ballflower ornament on its shaft, dates from the early 14th century. It was mounted onto its present stone and tiled plinth during the Victorian restoration of 1882.
The late 15th century pulpit has blind tracery and was originally on the south side of the chancel arch but was restored and moved to its present location in 1882.
There are a large number of 15th century bench ends with blind tracery and elaborate poppyheads. Most of the poppyheads are fleur-de-lis shaped (formed by two rabbits with their heads pointing downwards) but there are also hounds and grotesques. One poppyhead has a human figure playing a set of ‘Lincolnshire’ bagpipes on one side and on the other is a figure playing a serpent.
The remainder are undecorated 19th century pews.
The chancel screen is basically of the 15th century, restored in the 19th century.
There are two small carved figures fixed to the screen, but not originally part of it: on the east side is the Virgin and Child (15th century) and on the west is St Francis of Assisi (16th century).
The oak tower screen was erected in 1957.
A brass tablet nearby reads: