View of the church from the north-east

Balderton

St Giles

Newark Archdeaconry

Newark and Southwell Deanery

Introduction

It is reputed that a Saxon church existed in Balderton but no traces of masonry have been found.

The present stone church consists of nave with 4 bays, chancel, north and south aisles, an embattled western tower containing a clock and 8 bells, and an outstanding octagonal and crocketed spire. The oldest parts are the Norman north and south porches, particularly the former, which is superb and has a 15th century oak door with a carved 12th century figure of the Virgin Mary in a niche above.

The lower stage of the tower is 13th century, but the upper part and spire are late 14th or early 15th. The aisles are mostly Decorated, the 13th century arcade piers octagonal with foliated capitals. The chancel has Early English lancet windows, the east triplet of 1856 by G G Place.

There are many fragments of medieval glass and in the south aisle window is the Adoration of the Lamb by Wailes.

The early 14th century font is octagonal with ballflower ornament. The brass lectern came from the disused church at Cotham. A set of medieval bench ends is remarkable, with poppyheads formed by rabbits, hounds or grotesques.

The church was restored in 1881-2, clergy and choir vestries added in 1964.

Particular thanks to Hillery Harrison for research on this entry and to Geoff Buxton for the photographs.