For this church:
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
There is no evidence of a church here in Domesday. However, from archaeological evidence there was a church here by the late 11th or early 12th century. It is an embattled structure, mainly 12th century, consisting of a chancel and nave (separated by a Norman arch), north aisle, south porch, and Norman tower at the west end with eight pinnacles and six bells. The clerestory, top of the tower, south porch, and low south chancel chapel are in ashlar stone. The north arcade has two bays with an octagonal pier and well crocketed capital.
The chancel was extended into a five-sided apse in 1841, and a Lady Chapel added. The north aisle had a new roof in 1885 but the corbels of the early roof survive.
The font is Norman, circular with interlaced arches on short columns. In the tower is a 13th century incised alabaster monument of a knight and his lady.
The stained glass west window and three lancets in the apse are by Wailes, but unfortunately rather poor examples.
One of the most notable features of the church is a tympanum with an obviously pagan carving, possibly Viking, showing two dragons or horses licking each other. On one of the roof beams is another pagan feature, the seamus-na-mogairle or tongue poker.
Particular thanks to Jean, William and Hannah Nicholson for research on this entry.
Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.