For this church:
Core fabric 1782-4 on site of medieval church
Attached tower to west (3 stages), above cornice supported by 3 Tuscan columns at each corner, surmounted by drum
Nave and chancel continuous with 5 bays
Round headed windows recessed in arches
South porch with Tuscan columns
Addition of vestry late 19th C.
Below-ground vault beyond east end, surviving from mausoleum demolished in 1838.
Significant Interior Features
Round headed tower arch to west
3 rounded headed arches with Tuscan columns separating nave and chancel
Single bay chancel with round headed recess to east
Timbers and Roofs
Two-tier steel frame by Alan Wilson of Ossington, 1979; the six bells have metal headstocks and ball bearings.
The pre-1979 bell frame was an unrecorded timber frame. The present frame of 1979 is of Elphick Z form (Pickford 8.2). The single frame supporting the striking bell in the lantern above is a wooden frame of Elphick Z (Pickford 6A) type and probably dates from 1864 (the same date as the Taylors' bell).
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No archaeological excavation has taken place at this church.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered to be high-very high and below the present interior floors is considered to be high.
Exterior: The churchyard contains marked burials earlier than 1782 (the date of the present church fabric), therefore it is probable that the church occupies a similar footprint to the earlier, medieval building. Expected archaeology is: inhumation burials of medieval-C20th date; evidence of the earlier church and other buildings in the churchyard is likely. Below the east end of the church and into the adjacent churchyard the mausoleum survives intact.
Interior: A single build of 1782-4 except for the C19th vestry addition. Below the floor it is expected that a single construction layer of late C18th date will overlie evidence from the earlier church. The extent to which stratigraphy and burials from the earlier church have survived is unknown but it must be assumed that some remains are probable. There are grave markers of earlier date than the church re-set in the present floor.
The standing fabric is of interest in relation to late C18th construction methods. The tower and mausoleum are of particular interest.