Nottingham St Nicholas

Official Listing Description





(East side)

Church of St Nicholas
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Nicholas)

Grade II*

Parish church. 1671-1682, replacing a church destroyed during the Civil War. East end dated 1699. South aisle 1756, north aisle 1783. Altered early C19, and interior remodelled 1863. Restored 1906 (tower) and 1959 (chancel). Red brick with ashlar dressings and copper and slate roofs. Main elements have plinth, quoins and parapets. PLAN: chancel, vestry, organ chamber, nave, aisles, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel, single bay, has crenellated parapet. Cross mullioned east window, 5 lights, and similar south window, 3-lights. Vestry, to south, steeply gabled. has to east a 3-light window and door with elliptical arches, and to south a smaller 3-light window. Gabled organ chamber, to north, windowless. Nave has a round-arched 3-light window in the east gable. Aisles, 5 x 2 bays, have round-arched windows, 3 lights, with keystones. North aisle has crenellated parapet and chamfered pointed arched doorways in the second and fifth bays, with the fifth window reduced to a fanlight. West tower, square, unbuttressed, 3 stages, has string courses, and corner pedestals to parapet. Cross mullioned west window, 4 lights. Second stage has clock to north. Bell stage has traceried 2-light bell openings. INTERIOR: rendered, has scissor braced roof to nave and cross beam roofs to aisles, with arch braces. Chancel has a coffered elliptical arch and 2-panel ceiling with dentillated borders and roundels, cross beam on scroll brackets, panelled wainscotting, all C18. East window stained glass 1913. Round arch to organ chamber on north side, doorway to south. Nave has arcades of Tuscan columns, 4 bays, and round arch at west end. South aisle has a stained glass window, c1920, and gallery at west end. North aisle has round arch to east. Tower chamber has coved barrel vault with wooden ribs, panelled wainscotting and door to gallery. Fittings include inlaid octagonal wooden pulpit, 1783, and reused late C17 communion rail. Remainder C20. Memorials include tablet, 1717, obelisk tablets, 1739 and 1749, C18 brasses and war memorial brass, c1920. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 224; Church guide: Jones M: Nottingham: 1988-1990).