For this church:
Mansfield St Mark
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1897. By Temple Moore. Uncoursed ashlar, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Perpendicular Revival style. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, eastern vestry and sacristy, south east tower, northern lady chapel, transverse west porch. Buttressed nave has at the east end a 5-light pointed arch window with Decorated tracery, and at the west end a simpler 4-light window, both with hoodmoulds and stops. South side has 4 segmental pointed arch 3-light windows, and north side has 3 similar windows. Triple gabled vestry, to east, has buttresses and 3 narrow 2-light windows. To south, a single lancet, and to north, a shouldered doorway. Square south-east tower, 2 stages, has battered plinth, string courses, and crenellated parapet. Square stair turret to east. Lower stage has, to south, 2 small windows one above the other. Bell stage has a small square headed 2-light bell opening on each side, with stone mullion. Gabled lady chapel has a single buttress on the north side, flanked to east by a small double lancet and to west by a much larger 4-light pointed arch window. East end has 3 small loops with louvres. West end has a 2-light point arch window with hoodmould and stops. Nave west end has a lean-to porch with 4 tall buttresses to west, and the end walls projecting. 5 small traceried 2-light pointed arch windows. North and south ends have sloped coping below the gable, and a central chamfered pointed arched door with hoodmould, flanked by single small lancets. INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades with square ashlar piers and rendered plain pointed arches, with lower inner arches. Narrow side passages with round arches. Close boarded roof with moulded arch braces, corbels and wall plate. East end has a screen wall with wide central pier flanked by single pointed arches with traceried wooden screens. Chancel arcades have similar screens. Stained-glass east window probably by Kempe. North-east and south-east windows have stained glass c1920 and c1890. West end has screen wall with central octagonal pier flanked by large pointed arches. Plain west window. Vestry and sacristy have dividing arches springing from the screen wall, and side passages with small stained-glass windows, 1904 and 1965. 2 east windows have stained glass, 1907, and the central window has fragments of medieval glass. Lady chapel has panelled dado and panelled wooden reredos with text. Wooden aumbry and ogee-headed piscina. West end has wooden sedilia. West window has stained glass, 1927, and north windows have stained glass 1922 and late C20. West porch has lean-to roof with arch braces and corbels. Canted internal porch at each end. To west, stained-glass windows, 1916 and 1917, probably by Kempe, and others mid C20. FITTINGS: altar, reredos, crucifix and canopy, probably by Leslie Moore. Inscribed octagonal panelled font, traceried octagonal wooden pulpit, good quality brass eagle lectern, traceried stalls and sedilia, all C19. Chairs throughout. MEMORIALS: wooden war memorial plaque, c1918. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached boundary wall to south, coursed squared stone with ramped half-round coping. Pair of square gate piers with square domed caps. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 169).
War memorial and railings. c1920. Portland stone gabled crucifix set on an inscribed square pedestal with moulded plinth and cornice. Circular base of 2 steps. Enclosing railing has short cast-iron posts with crocketed finials, linked by a spiked chain.