For this church:
Mansfield St John
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1855-56, north porch 1906. Designed by HI Stevens. Built by Charles Lindley of Mansfield. Paid for mainly by Henry Gally Knight, author of Ecclesiastical Architecture of Italy. Mansfield and Ancaster stone ashlar, with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style. Plinth, sill band, string course, buttresses. PLAN: chancel, nave with clerestorey and aisles, porches, vestry, and west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: chancel, 3 bays, has coped gable with cross and wavy pierced balustrades, and gabled buttresses to east end and south side. East end has traceried 5-light pointed-arch window. South side has 3 traceried 2-light pointed-arch windows with a segment-arched door under the central one. All the windows have hoodmoulds and stops. Blank north side has lean-to vestry with coped gables and to north, a flat-headed 2-light window flanked to west by a moulded double doorway with shafts and hoodmould. Nave has pilaster buttresses to clerestorey, chamfered eaves with fleurons, and on either side, 5 pairs of 2-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and stops. South aisle, 5 bays, has off-centre porch flanked to west by a 2-light pointed-arch window and to east by two 3-light, then a single 2-light pointed-arch windows. East and west ends have a single 4-light pointed arch window with Geometrical tracery to east and flowing tracery to west. All have hoodmoulds and stops. Gabled angle buttress at each end. North aisle, of similar design, has porch in the same position, and 3-light pointed arch window with flowing tracery at west end. East end blank. Gabled south porch has flanking buttresses, plain parapet and frieze with fleurons. Moulded doorway with double shafts and hoodmould with ballflowers. On either side, a flat-headed 2-light window. Smaller hipped north porch has plain square headed doorway to west. Central west tower, 3 stages, has stepped buttresses, string courses, gargoyles and pierced balustrade. Buttressed octagonal stair turret to south west, with trefoil frieze and spire with ball finial. Ground stage has to west a moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould, and above it, a traceried 4-light pointed arch window. North and south sides have single lancets with hoodmoulds. Middle stage has a single lancet on 3 sides. Bell stage has two louvred 2-light bell openings on each side with linked hoodmoulds. Set-back octagonal broach spire has patterned string courses, ball finial and weathercock. 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes on alternate faces. INTERIOR: chancel has triple moulded arch with hoodmould, painted text and filleted shafts with foliage capitals. Sill band and scissor braced roof. East end has elaborate full width stone reredos with depressed ogee arches, flanked by single larger gabled niches. Stained-glass window, 1870. South side has central door and 3 stained-glass windows, 1869, 1875, 1880. North side has pointed-arched central doorway flanked to left by a pointed-arched organ opening with tracery and central shaft. To right, a pointed-arched canopied niche with shafts, containing a panel with the Beatitudes. Nave has arch braced roof with wooden shafts on foliage corbels. Enriched clerestorey sill band. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double moulded arches with hoodmoulds, stops and painted texts. West end has tall segmental pointed tower arch dying into responds. Good quality stained-glass west window, 1905. South aisle has arch braced lean-to roof with wall shafts. At the east end Lilley Memorial Chapel, 1926, with stained-glass east window, 1853. Eastern windows have stained glass, 1855 and 1870. To west, pointed arched doorway flanked by stained-glass windows 1960 and 1955. North aisle has similar roof. Pointed arched north door and opening at east end containing organ pipes. South porch has moulded inner doorway with shafts, hoodmould and stops. FITTINGS: traceried panelled square font with corner shafts, and similar shafts to the stem. Traceried octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1886. Wooden eagle lectern, stalls, desks and benches with ogee tracery and panelled fronts, all C19. MEMORIALS: wooden war memorial plaque with bronze tablet, c1918. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 168-169; Mellors EW: A History of the Parish Church of St John the Evangelist: 1930-).
Churchyard wall and gate piers. 1856. Coursed squared stone wall with gabled coping, approx 150m long. Central pair of square ashlar gate piers with stepped gabled caps with trefoils. Wrought-iron gates, 1956. At the east end, a similar pair of gate piers, and another adjacent pair with moulded flat caps. Included for group value.