For this church:
Langar St Andrew
The West Window
The window has as its theme Sacrifice and the text held by the choir of angels tells the Christian that he may “Enter into the Holiest by the Blood of Jesus“ (Hebrews X v19)
The first panel (reading from left to right) shows Abel and his sacrifice being the first record of the priestly duty of laying sacrifice on an altar, “He being dead yet speaketh“ (Hebrews XI v4) setting forth the power of this the first martyr’s death and giving us the first type of our Lord.
Immediately below this panel is shown the High Priest of the Old Dispensation, offering on the altar of sacrifice as described in the book of Exodus (Chapter XXX) showing the “horns” on the corners of it and the “rings” for the carrying shafts.
In the centre panel is the Crucifixion of our Saviour, in which all the types of the Old Testament have their culmination. Round the cross are grouped the faithful and loving ones - Mary the Mother, Saint John, Mary Magdalene, kneeling in supplication and Salome. In the background are soldiers with spears. Under the subject is shown the shield and crest of the donor with the motto “Keep the Faith”.
The panel on the right hand side shows the “Veil of the Temple” (”and the Veil of the Temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom“ - Mark XV v38) with an angel descending and gazing intently on the miraculous event. The curtain is of blue, purple and scarlet with golden cherubim upon it, and behind are two cherubim facing each other with out-stretched wings.
The small subject under this panel shows the High Priest entering through the Veil of the Temple “Holy of Holies”. All this setting forth the words of the writer to the Hebrews “Having therefore brethren boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say his flesh, and having a high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in the full assurance of Faith“ - Hebrews X, v 19,20,21.
At the base of the window is the inscription: “To the Glory of God and in memory of Thomas Bayley of Lenton Abbey and Langar Hall 1846 - 1906, and of Annie Mary Bradley Bayley, his wife, 1850 -1906, erected by their son, Henry Dennis Readett-Bayley. AD 1916.” (The grave of Thomas and Annie Bayley is in the churchyard, to the north of the chancel)
There was coloured glass in the church much earlier although this no longer survives.
Thoroton mentions the following armorial glass:
In the Windows, Az. Two Chevrons Or, quarter with Arg. Two Lyons Passant Gules, over the first is written Lathum; and over the Lions …ndolf..Randolf. Chaworth quarters the Chevrons, over which is written Lathum and Chaworth transposed, &c. several mistakes of the Glasier, or Painter.
Scroope with a File of three Labels Arg. Impaling the two Chevrons quartering Caltoft, and they impale with Fitz-Williams Lozengy Arg. And Gules. And Fitz-Williams empales the two Chevrons quartering Caltoft, and Azure a cross Argent, Alesbury, &c.