For this church:
The history of the Anglican church in Forest Town began when St David’s Mission Church was built in 1905 to serve a newly established mining community. This small building sufficed over the next few years until the larger stone church of St Alban’s was built and consecrated in July 1911. The churchyard was consecrated at the same time and parishioners could now be baptised and buried at St Alban's. It was not until December 1918 that the church was licensed for marriages.
During the First World War the churchyard became the last resting place of soldiers and one nurse from the nearby Clipstone Camp. An extension burial ground was opened in 1929. This is secluded from the original churchyard and could be easily missed by a casual visitor.
In 1936 Forest Town became a parish in its own right, having previously been part of Mansfield Woodhouse.
The church was extended in 1937 when the North Aisle was built, this was in the original plans but was deferred due to financial constraints.
A fire in July 1968 caused extensive damage to the church and services were held in the newly opened Church Hall for nearly a year while renovation work took place.
The church has undergone changes to make it a more versatile building for both able and disabled people. Many pews have been replaced by modern movable chairs. New heating and lighting have been installed with energy saving facilities. Despite the changes the church retains its original character and its prominent place near the crossroads in Forest Town.
Particular thanks to Malcolm & Pauline Marples for research on this entry