For this church:
West Markham (Markham Clinton) All Saints
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. Late C12, C13 and C15, repaired 1872, restored 1930-45. Red brick, coursed rubble, ashlar, render, some timber framing. Pantile roofs. Coped east gable with single ridge cross. Brick dentil bands to chancel eaves and sprocket eaves to nave. West bell turret, nave, south porch and chancel. Half timbered west gable surmounted by weatherboarded turret with pyramidal cap and single louvred openings to the south, north and west sides. The buttressed north nave wall is set on a plinth in parts, the eastern most bay slightly projects and has a stone band running below the eaves. Single arched 2 light window with hood mould, to the left is a single arched window with 3 pointed arched lights, hood mould and label stops. The east wall of the nave has 4 tie plates. The buttressed north chancel wall is of brick and is set on a rubble plinth to the east. The east end of brick and coursed rubble is set on a plinth to the north and has a single window with 3 pointed arched lights under a segmental arch. The south chancel with ashlar quoins to the east has a single C15 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with remains of a hood mould. To the left is a late C12 round chamfered arched doorway with worn chamfer stops, imposts, hood mould, worn label stops and wooden door. To the left is a late C12 double lancet with central decoratively carved motif and hood mould. To the left is a worn human head label stop. The nave with C12 herringbone masonry and single buttress plus tie plate has a larger, single similar window, motif and hood mould with head label stops. The gabled, half timbered C17 porch is set on a plinth on the east side. The inner late C12 chamfered round arched doorway has a hood mould with remnants of label stops. The wooden C15 door has hinges with some scroll work. To the left of the porch is a single arched C13 window with Y tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. Dividing nave and chancel is the remains of a C15 screen with 4 chamfered posts and later balustrade running between. In the south chancel is an ogee arched cupsed piscina and the remains of a C12 pedestal and a pedestal piscina. The reveal of the south east nave window is decorated with carved salamanders and vine. Restored C17 panelled pulpit; some of the panels being decorated. Round ashlar C12 font with moulded base and 7 arcaded panels each containing a single primitively carved figure. There are 6 Cl6 benches and a C17 alms box on a pedestal inscribed "Remember the Poor". On the west wall is a board detailing benefactions of the parish and dated 1819. In the north chancel is a sheet of lead decorated with small crests and inscribed "T. Hempsial, R. Bilyard, Church Wardens 1816." Also in the chancel is a C14 monument of a reclining figure with a dog at his feet and the remains of 2 angels at the head. There are several C18 floor slabs. Nave roof with bosses in the form of grotesque faces and stylised flowers.
4 headstones. Early and mid C18. Row of 4 rectangular headstones with shaped heads. To William, Mary and William Minnit and John Minute. d.1726, 1725, 1751 and 1758 respectively.