For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
The monuments mainly relate to the occupants of Thrumpton Hall.
The largest monument in the church is the Pigot memorial. This monument, erected between 1673 and 1695, was originally in the chancel but was moved to the base of the tower in 1870/2. In 1950 the monument was restored to its position in the chancel in memory of Frederick, 10th Baron Byron, who made this his last wish. This restoration is commemorated by a plaque in the chancel.
The monument has an unusual design. In the centre is a large rectangular inscription tablet with the text in two columns surmounted by a band of shields. Either side are single angels supported on corbels, holding back curtains over the inscription. The apron is decorated with a stylised tree and carved fruit. Hartwell (2020) thinks it is 'probably by Richard Hall.'
There are five plaques between the inscription tablet and the apron:
A translation of the inscription from Latin into English has been provided by Dr J M Moore:
Gervase Pigot, Esquire, only son of Edmund who was the second son of Thomas (but after his elder brother Richard died without issue, fate made him the first), married as his first wife Margaret, daughter and heiress of John Halford of Kegworth, Gentleman: She died without fault and without issue on the 29th day of January in the year of Our Lord 1603. He married second Jane, daughter of John Bradshaw, Esquire of Burton on Trent; for her the door of life was opened by death on the 4th day of February in the year 1611; she left two daughters, Elizabeth and Jane, named after her. His third wife was Frances, youngest daughter of William Milward, Esquire from Eaton in the County of Derby, whose only child Gervase II, survived her. It is allowed that his ancestors’ patrimony in past times was old and distinguished as also was their repute in these counties of Derby, Leicester and Nottingham, but particularly at Radcliffe on Sore in the area of this place, Thrumpton, under King John, Henry III and the three succeeding Edwards, and they flourished in the rank of Knights:
This it will now be a pleasure to remember. Therefore he (Gervase II) honours even more than the images of his ancestors the remains of his father, which have been laid to rest here. While his mother was still alive, when he was almost fifty years old, on the 28th day of October in the year of Our Lord’s incarnation 1617.
Frances, relict of the aforesaid Gervase, left the world (but is buried in the earth here) on the third day of the month of May in the year of salvation 1673.
Her life 84
Gervase the Second, son of the first, father of the third and fourth, begot two sons called Gervase by his two wives, the first of whom, Mary, was the first child of her father John St Andrew, Esquire, of Goteham, and had the right of primogeniture of his three coheiresses. She chose a virtuous path from the beginning, from which she was not deflected, although (alas) she was carried off too soon from her husband in her 22nd year, in the year of Our Lord 1643, on the second day of February, so that on one and the same day is celebrated the purification of the blessed Virgin and of his blessed wife Mary. His second wife, who was second to none, was Elizabeth, beloved daughter of Simon Edmonds, Councillor, Alderman, and recently elected Mayor of London, but when she had not yet completed her 28th year she died on the 28th day of August in the year of the Christian era 1649. Look below for the child of each; to whose memory this was dedicated by the inconsolable husband who sadly laid to rest here the remains of his blessed ones, and (God willing) destined that he should be buried in the same tomb, having hope while he lives until his turn should come.
He revived from destructive time the insignia of his ancestors which had lain dormant for about two hundred years (in order that in place of the great badges of office long born in the family, he might hand on to his descendants insignia born even earlier); on the 9th day of the month of August in the year of Our Lord 1669, he died at last, aged 53, having lived long in hope, and with his two most loved ones who had gone before, he, Gervase Pigot Esquire, Lord of both, slept in the Lord.
On the third day of March in the year of the Christian era 1656, aged 14, FRANCES left this life.
Maria, wife of ROBERT BURDET, Esquire, survived as her mother’s heir.
On the eighth day of the month of March in the year of salvation 1642, aged 3, died GERVASE.
ELIZABETH, heir to her mother’s title.
Second son of a second marriage and heir of his father, GERVASE died on the 4th of June, aged 46, in the year of Our Lord, 1695
In the chancel, close to the altar, is a plaque to Richard Sturges Seymour (1875-1959) and Victoria Alexandria Seymour (1886-1969), ancestors of the current occupants of Thrumpton Hall. This plaque was installed on the 14th April 1960 and commemorates his time in the diplomatic service.
To the left of the reredos behind a hanging curtain is a locked cupboard with a glass front. Behind this is an urn containing the ashes of Beatrix Constance Mackenzie (1873–1930), friend of Charles Byron.
On the south wall of the nave is another memorial in Latin. This too was formerly in the tower.
The inscription reads:
The inscription has been translated by Dr J Moore:
Winifred, eldest daughter of Edmund Pigot, Esquire, sole wife of Radulph Coppindale of Coppindale Tower in Beverley, Gentleman, left this temporal life for life eternal on the fifth day of April in the year of salvation 1648, her life 83, whose remains with those of her children Gervase and Eleanor who died before her, Richard who died after her, and (If it please God) Frances who waits (mother with children in mother earth) are buried very near here.
This Frances was buried on the 1st day of November in the year of Our Lord 1670
At the bottom of the memorial is an armorial coat of arms which includes the three pickaxes of the Picot family from whom the Pigotts claimed to be descended.
There are memorials to the Emmerton family on the north wall of the nave.
At the west end of the north wall is a memorial to John Wescomb Emmerton Wescomb, who died in 1838:
To the east is another mural monument in memory of John Emmerton Wescomb Emmerton (died in 1823) and his wife, Helen (died in 1780):
Further east is a monument to John Emmerton (died 1745) and his brother, Thomas (died 1716):
The Emmerton monuments were originally fixed to the tower walls and were moved to the nave in the 20th century.
Two memorials remain in the tower. One is to the Widdowson family and one to Hugh Massey born in Thrumpton in 1832.
The walls show clearly the repairs involved in the movement of the monuments.