All Saints


After the new church was built in 1771 some people still preferred to be buried in the old graveyard of St Peter in the Rushes. Throsby commented on this when he visited Rempstone writing that

The people retain their prejudices for the old burying ground: few, at present, are inclined to lay the bones of their departed in the new in preference of the old church-yard.

The oldest grave stones in the old part of the graveyard at All Saints’ date from 1776. There are a number of headstones in local Swithland slate.

Gravestone of
George Goodman
East end of the church
with headstones nearby

A notable slate grave stone originally from the graveyard of the old church is that of George Goodman, rector from 1681-1695. This stone, along with one for John Bowley (d1735), were discoved face-down in the ground of the house occupied by the curate, H Eardley Field. The then rector, Rev J R Hughes, had Mr Goodman’s stone removed and fastened against the south wall of Rempstone Church,where it remains. It reads:

Lieth interred the Body of
George Goodmam
late Rector of the parish
who departed this life
the first day of August
in the year of our Lord 1695
ye body of Milecent his wife
who survived him and continued
his Widow fifty four years
and departed this life
December the 28th 1749
Aged 84

A fine example in Welsh slate by Ferriman was erected for Francis Harley, a surgeon of Costock.

The rectors and occupants of Rempstone Hall have chosen to be put adjacent to the east end of the church. Here are some good slate tombstones, including one to Edward Bell rector of both the old and new church.

On 24 October 1927 an addition to the churchyard was consecrated and in 1966 alterations were made to the churchyard to facilitate mowing.

Over 175 gravestones were recorded by the Nottinghamshire Family History Society at All Saints, Rempstone. These range from 1776 to 1977.