St Michael

Features and Fittings


On the architect’s drawings the font was located at the west end of the church on the south-side of the central aisle, but as this part of the church was never completed it was probably in the same position in the much shortened aisle. The font is described as having marble columns supporting a ring of alabaster, on which sat a stone bowl.


The pulpit was attached to the north side of the chancel arch directly facing the north side of the central aisle. Of the original pulpit nothing is recorded, but in 1929 Mrs C Lea Wilson, wife of the incumbent, donated a new one at a cost of £28. It had stone shafts supporting an octagon which had arched trefoil panels decorated with the carved busts of angels. The shafts bore the inscription:

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy and peace, by offering gentleness, goodness[?]
meekness and temperance. Acts v22

This verse appears only in Galatians 5:22-23: 'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.'


Seating in the nave was varnished pitch pine. Only twelve rows of pews would fit into the reduced length of the nave; thirty one rows had been planned.Three rows of choir stalls were set either side of the chancel.


In 1929 the vicar gave a new oak reredos. Another new reredos was installed and dedicated in 1936, gifted by an anonymous donor.

High altar

No details are available other than at the time of demolition it was transferred to the church of St. Michael the Archangel, West Retford, Nottinghamshire.

In 1928/9 other items were gifted to the church:

A pair of Mortuary Candle sticks with mahogany stems and an embroidered banner by Miss Atkins.

In 1936, several more donations of church furnishings were gifted anonymously.

Breedes bible and a brass cross.

Figure of Madonna and child, a chalice, platen and alms dish.

At a date unknown a Credo painted black with gold and red lettering on a buff background was also installed.

The fate of virtually all the contents of the church at the time of closure is not recorded.