For this church:
Ossington Holy Rood
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Estate church. 1782-83. Minor C19 alterations and additions. By John Carr. Probably for Robert Denison. Classical style. Ashlar with hipped and gabled slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof. Vestry and porch to south. 5 bays. Stepped plinth, lintel band, moulded eaves cornice. C18 windows have rebated round headed recesses. West tower, 3 stages, square plan. First stage has glazing bar sashes with Gothick tracery to north, south and west. Cornice band. Second stage has rebated corners and cornice and a round opening on each side, those to east and west louvred. Above, bell stage with lintel band and 4 round headed louvred openings. Cornice supported by 3 Tuscan columns at each corner. Above again, drum with round headed openings to east and west, clock to south, and louvred round opening to north. Stone dome with ball finial and wind vane. Nave and chancel has central porch to south, with Tuscan columns, antae and dentillated pediment. Moulded round headed doorcase with Gothick fanlight and double panelled door. Flanked by 2 windows, that to east reduced and partly covered by vestry. East end has lintel band. North side has concrete buttress to north east corner. To east, C19 ogee headed door in C18 window recess and above it, a round headed window. To west, 4 C18 windows, 2 to right with Gothick tracery. Vestry at south east corner, C19, ashlar, single bay, coped gables. Paired round headed light to west only. Aisleless nave has panelled oak dado with carved top rail by Lady Elinor Denison, 1907. Sill band, moulded window heads, moulded cornice and coved ceiling. West end has round headed tower arch occupied by C19 barrel organ, flanked by single round head recesses. South side has to east, window with glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1916; middle window with glass by G. Cooper-Abbs, 1939; western window with stained glass C19. North side has easternmost window with stained glass, C19. Tower chamber has no architectural features. Chancel separated from nave by 3 moulded round arches with Tuscan columns and antae, C20 timber rood. Single bay chancel has to east, central moulded round headed recess. Reeded cornice and coved ceiling. To north, window with stained glass, c.1871. To south, window with stained glass, c.1899. Single bay vestry has principal rafter roof with collars. Fittings include panelled and moulded benches and stalls, C19 font with round alabaster stem on octagonal base, carrying octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels. Timber pulpit, late C18, with octagonal body, base and stem. Carved panels and coping by Lady Elinor Denison, early C20. Oak lectern with clustered stem, octagonal base and flared top. C18 litany desk carved and with traceried panels and Gothick cresting. C17 Mannerist painting. C19 cope chest. Monuments include chest tomb with octagonal corner piers, traceried panelled sides with cusps, quatrefoils and lozenges, brass shields with Arms. Moulded top with re-cut brasses and text border, to Reynald Peckham and wife, 1551. Renaissance revival wall tomb, 3 stages, with table base containing 6 male and 6 female child figures, moulded edges and frieze with Arms. Above, pair of facing, kneeling figures with helmet between them. Back panel has 3 Ionic columns, foliate frieze, and panels with 2 scrolled Arms. Above, 3 Corinthian columns with projecting entablature and pediment with ball finials. Tympanum has 2 reclining figures with skull and hour glass. Above again, oval cartouche with Arms. To William Cartwright, 1602, and wife, 1613. Oval marble cartouche with drapery and cherubs, and above, Arms and foliate finial. To William Cartwright, 1704. Large wall monument with rectangular inscribed panel, shaped apron, pulvinated frieze, and pair of urns with flames. Above, 2 swagged obelisks with ball finials. Between them, cherub supporting inscribed drapery. To George Cartwright, 1710. Framed marble tablet with inscribed panel flanked by draped columns, on cherub corbel. Cornice and swagged brackets carrying cartouche with Arms. To George Cartwright, 1752. Large wall monument, marble and slate,with obelisk shaped back panel, inscribed slab with scroll brackets, and above, draped urn, Arms and swag. To John Wilkinson, 1780. Signed "T King, Bath'. West end has 2 marble monuments by Nollekens with moulded plinths, panelled bases, iron guard rails, with full size standing male figures. That to William Denison, 1782, to left, has relief panel with quayside scene, and figure holding text. That to right to Robert Denison, 1785. Oval marble and slate tablet with shouldered base carrying urn with Arms, to Robert Wilkinson, 1789. Inscribed 'T King Ft. Bath'. Recessed Egyptian style monument with claw feet, swag, gable and acroteria, to John Denison, 1820. Marble and slate tablet, 1821. Classical style marble and slate tablet with relief portrait in panel flanked by square columns with entablature and wreathed apron, 1918. Signed 'A Drury R.A.'. 3 brasses, C20. 2 oval slate tablets, 1972. Gothic style marble war memorial tablet, 1919. War memorial brass, 1946.
Boundary Wall and Gate
Boundary wall, gate and overthrow. C19. Brick with stone saddleback and brick half round coping. Pair of stone gate piers with shaped tops. Wrought iron gate. Wrought iron overthrow with lamp. Approx. 150M long. Included for group value only.
Sundial (remains of)
Sundial. 1812. By Arthur Buckle. Ashlar. Moulded round base. Vase shaped baluster stem with moulded cap. Bronze dial signed 'H F Wood, 185 Oxford St., London.' Included for group value only.
Note: The 1812 sundial was stolen some time ago and only the base survives!
Column sundial. Early C17. Ashlar. Chamfered octagonal base, 3 steps. Tuscan column with chamfered square base. Cubic top with 4 dials and moulded cornice. Above,dwarf obelisk carrying ball finial with ecliptic ring.