For this church:
Edwinstowe St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Spire restored 1680 and C19. Vestry 1862. South porch 1903. Re-pewed 1848. Re-roofed 1892 and 1897. Restored and windows renewed 1897. Coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Crenellated parapets, coped gables, moulded eaves band. Lead roofs. West tower, north and south aisles, adjoining mausoleum, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C12, C13, C14. 3 stages. Moulded plinth, 3 string courses. To west, a pair of clasp buttresses, that to south also forming stair enclosure. 3 setoffs. Buttress to south east engaged with aisle. First stage has to south, 2 stair lights. To west, transomed C13 lancet and tablet 1979. Second stage has 4 C14 double lancet bell openings. Third stage has to south, blocked round headed triple opening with round shafts, containing clock. To west and north, similar openings. To east, remains of similar opening with clock. Octagonal broach spire has 8 elaborate crocketed pinnacles with shafts. Above, 4 round lights. Above again, finial and large weathercock. North aisle, C13 and C15, restored C19. 5 bays. Crenellated parapet. North side has buttress at west end plus 3 intermediate, all gabled. To east, 3 C15 chamfered square headed openings with cusped triple lancets. To west, projecting 5 sided Ward Mausoleum with 4 moulded lancets. To west again, C14 double lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Nave clerestory, C14 and C15, 5 bays. On each side, 5 Tudor arched chamfered reveals with cusped double lancets. Vestry has crenellated parapet and to east, pointed door. To its right, double lancet with Y tracery. Chancel, C13, C14, C15. 2 bays. Blank to north. East end has restored C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and chamfered reveal. South side has central round headed priest’s door, C12, with imposts and hood mould. To west, C15 chamfered square headed reveal with double lancet. To east, C19 Tudor arched reveal with hood mould and C14 style double lancet. Below it, undated Classical style tablet with cornice and fluted columns. South aisle. C14 and C15, restored 1833 and later. Pair of diagonal buttresses, that to east inscribed ‘CPP/MP/OP’. 2 C19 intermediate gabled buttresses. East end has C20 four centred arched opening with C15 style triple lancet. South side has 4 late C13 double lancets with Y tracery. Partly restored. Gabled south porch, late C13 restored C19. Chamfered plinth and plain tile roof. To south, chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted shafts and simple moulded bases and capitals. Coped gable with gabled kneelers and cross. Interior has stone benches and C18 principal rafter roof with tenoned purlins. Inner south door, late C13, restored, has roll moulded head and hood mould with mask stops. Filleted responds with simple moulded capitals and bases. Nave north arcade, early C14, 5 bays, has 4 round piers with matching responds. Stepped square plinths with waterholding bases, ringed capitals and chamfered and rebated arches. Hood moulds with mask stops. Restored. South arcade, mid C14, has 4 octagonal piers and matching responds. Simple moulded bases and capitals coved and roll moulded arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Restored. Clerestory has leaded windows. C19 kingpost roof with plain corbels. C13 tower arch, double chamfered and rebated, dying into restored moulded imposts. Nailhead bands and mask corbels. C19 traceried panelled timber screen. Tower chamber has patterned glass in west window. North aisle has on north side, to west, pointed recess with iron railing to domed mausoleum containing patterned stained glass windows and central Gothic Revival shrine with plinth and inscription. To the Ward family, 1788-1857. To east, window with patterned stained glass. South aisle, C14, has to south, 4 C20 stained glass windows. East end forms Lady Chapel. East end has moulded altar, c.1325, with turned stone legs. Flanked by single aumbries with C20 doors. Above, single brackets with C20 figures. To south, C14 piscina, restored, with keeled shafts. East window has stained glass, 1891. North and south aisles have C19 lean-to roofs. Chancel arch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds. Perpendicular timber screen with painted panels, 1939. Chancel north side has 2 doorways and to east, triangular headed aumbry with C20 doors. East window has C19 stained glass. South side has to west, window with stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1871, to Louisa Blanche Foljambe. Low pitched C19 kingpost roof with plain corbels and curved brackets. Fittings include font, octagonal, C15, base of 3 steps, quatrefoil band, C19 crocketed conical cover. C19 traceried panelled octagonal timber pulpit. C19 brass eagle lectern. C17 communion table with bulbous turned legs and chip carving. Detached timber panel inscribed ‘This is the crisning and churching seat ANNO DOM 1714 J H/ G W/ C S/ L B Church Wardens.’ Moulded C19 oak benches with traceried panelled ends. C20 panelled oak benches and C19 desk. C19 Gothic altar rail. C18 marble wall monument with oval cartouche and crest of books with skull and cherubs. Latin inscription. Classical oval tablet to Bristowe family, 1762. Decorated style cartouche on plinth, with scrolled Arms. Tablet with shouldered panel, cherubs and ball finial, to William Villa Real, 1759. 4 C19 marble and slate tablets. Marble and slate war memorials, 1918 and 1945. Single C20 marble tablet. 3 brasses, C19 and C20.
Boundary Wall, Gate, Steps and Overthrow
Boundary wall, gate, steps and overthrow. 1844. Ashlar and wrought iron. Wall has gabled ashlar coping. At each end, a pair of plain wrought iron gates leading to ashlar steps. Each has elaborate scrolled overthrow and lamp bracket. To right, ogee headed panel inscribed ‘1844'. Adjoining boundary wall to left has ramped dressed stone half-round coping. Included for group value only.