St Giles


The external walls are of stone to all elevations. Most appears to be Trent Valley Mudstone and may have come from a local source.

Blocked arch in the
south wall of the chancel

The south aisle was removed in 1796 and the existing aisle arches have been built up with stone. A former doorway and window on the south wall are also mostly of stone fill, the doorway partly also filled with brick.

A former window opening in the north wall at high level above the blocked north door appears to have been filled in, possibly when the last major restoration works were carried out.

There is a flue, dating from 1890's, presumably to a former stove or boiler, on the south side – the flue was reduced in height, probably after the end of its use sometime after 1981.