Edingley St Giles

Official Listing Description

SK 65 NE





(south side)

Church of St. Giles

Grade II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16,C17, C19, chancel rebuilt 1844, restored c. 1890 by Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar. Plain tile roofs. Coped gables to west nave and east chancel with decorative ridge cross to east chancel. Single stack to south nave. West bellcote, nave and chancel. Gabled and coped C19 bellcote with 2 arched openings for bells and small arched and cusped opening over. West wall with bands forming a pediment in the gable. The lower part of this wall slightly projects. C12 doorway with 2 moulded orders of chevron, the inner supported on imposts and the outer on engaged columns with scalloped capitals. The hoodmould has worn decoration with remains of decorative label stops. Over is a C19 arched and cusped light with hoodmould and in the gable apex a single small rectangular light. The north nave with large buttresses has in the west bay, which is slightly set back, a single small C12 arched light. To the left is a single C16 window set under the eaves with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. To the left and lower is a single C13 pointed arched light and further left a single C17 window with 3 arched lights under a flat arch. The buttressed north chancel has a single restored C14 arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, mouchettes, quatrefoil and hoodmould. The east chancel has a C15 style arched window with 4 arched and cusped lights. In the apex is a single small rectangular light. The south chancel has 2 large buttresses, that on the right inscribed "W.M.I.B.C.W. Anno 1639" and "? 1682". Between the 2 buttresses is evidence of a single former pointed C14 south aisle arch now with 2 blocked openings, that on the right C16 with 2 arched lights under a flat arch and that on the left arched. Wall to the east here, under the eaves, inscribed " ? C.B.T.F. Church Wardens 1687". The south nave with large buttress has evidence of a former C14 2 bay pointed arched arcade, both arches now with single large tripartite casements with lead glazingbars. Above that on the right is a single C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. On the far left is a single small C12 arched light. Interior. Demolished south aisle with evidence of 2 bay arcade with double chamfered arches and moulded capitals. South chancel has an arched recess, originally a doorway and to the left an arched and cusped piscina, the floor here having been heightened. In the north nave is a blocked doorway. Some C18 panelling to nave walls. Late C18 panelled and painted reredos. Ashlar font with octagonal pedestal and shaped octagonal bowl. C17 Cover consisting of 8 open painted ribs forming ogee arches and terminating in an acanthus decorated knob. C19 choir stalls and pews. In the north nave is a board detailing benefactions to the parish and dated April 17th 1895. There is a painting said to be by a 9 year old boy of the church with ashlar and red brick tower.