For this church:
Eakring St Andrew
Features and Fittings
This is of a plain design and bears the date ‘1674'. Its installation probably reflects the completion of William Mompesson’s restoration of the church. The font cover is of oak with ironwork.
The pulpit is usually described as ‘Jacobean’. Pevsner dates it as probably contemporary with the font and this would conveniently place it as part of Mompesson’s refurbishment. It is of carved oak with a sounding board.
The screen is of oak, with a small brass plate carrying the following inscription:
An Archdeacon’s visitation of 1674 had drawn Mompesson’s attention to the lack of a Poor Box in the church. It was not until 1718 when Peter Laycock, who had succeeded his cousin as rector in 1709, provided the simple black wooden box.
The lectern is made of oak and was given in 1881.