Colwick Old Church


One of the
south windows

There is now no glass in the church. The following refers to glass known to have been in the church in the past.

Thoroton refers to a stained glass window of “a man in his Coat of Arms, holding his Shield, whereon also was depicted Gules, three (or four) Fusils in Fesse Argent and two Cinquefoils (or Mullets) in Chief Or. He was of the family of D’Aubeni in Brant Broughton”. As the arms described are those of the Colwicks, it seems more likely that the figure in the window represented one of that family rather than one of the family of D’Aubeni of Lincolnshire.

Torre MSS refer to the same being painted in the north window of the church.

The window
behind the altar
with thanks to
Picture the Past
Panel as it now is
in Annesley All Saints

About 1817, the tracery in the east window was replaced and the chancel windows were replaced by windows painted by Mrs Sophia Musters, copying a design painted on a window in the Chapel of New College, Oxford, by Sir Joshua Reynolds. One source says they were painted under the direction of Sir Joshua – and were much admired for their sublimity and grandeur. Another source described them as not being of special merit being sepia enamelled copy of Sir Joshua’s figures. There is a faculty dated 1937 for removing these windows to Annesley Church.

Under a Faculty dated 15 June 1909, a glass window was placed in the south side of the church, in memory of the late Rector, the Rev Canon WB Curran, MA. Samples of glass, salvaged from the ruins show that the window was painted, and not stained. According to the Nottingham Journal the window was 'a single panel some twelve feet high by three feet wide, and represents the Holy Family. Our Lady has Our Blessed Saviour on her knee and by the side stands St John the Baptist. It is a copy of a picture by Durer.' A drawing in Nottingham Archives shows the design by Jones and Willis of London with a central panel showing Mary with child holding a cross with a third male figure, and two side panels with cherubs. The dedication read:

To the glory of God and in fond memory of William Bannington Curran for six years Rector of Colwick. Born St John Baptist’s day 1839, died September 15 1908. This window is given by those who loved him.

In 1949 the east window tracery was dismantled and stored away in a safe place but it is not known where this was.