Calverton St Wilfrid

Official Listing Description

SK 64 NW





(north side)

Church of St. Wilfrid

Grade II*

Parish church. Late C13, C14. Nave and tower rebuilt 1763. Chancel rebuilt 1835. Restored 1881. Organ chamber 1888. Vestry 1962. Dressed stone and ashlar. Lead, plain tile and slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, coved eaves, crenellated parapet, coped gables. West tower, nave, chancel, organ chamber, south porch, vestry. West tower, single stage, has 2 buttresses to west, 4 setoffs. Openings have round heads and Gibbs surrounds. South side has clock. West side has door with overlight, and above it, datestone inscribed '1763 M. Pugh, Vicar, Sam Pugh..... Churchwardens.' Above it, 3 light leaded window with wooden mullions. Above again, each side has a louvred opening. Nave north side, 2 bays, has 3 buttresses and 2 C13 style double lancets with hood moulds,1881. West end has to left, a similar lancet. South side, 3 bays, has 2 buttresses and 3 similar double lancets with hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has mullioned windows with segmental heads. North side has blocked window to east. Fragments of Cll carved stone in plinth. East end has 3 light window. South side has to east, a blocked window. Organ chamber has a diagonal buttress and a gable stack. South side has a C12 style double lancet with hood mould. South porch, late C19, has C12 style doorway with round shafts and hood mould. Coped gable with cross. To west, 2 round windows. Flat roofed vestry has parapet. Single casement to north and to west. Porch interior has common rafter roof and C19 pointed doorway. Aisleless nave has C19 strutted kingpost roof on corbels. South side has stained glass window, 1945. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, has mid C20 screen and balustrade to ringing floor. Tower chamber has re-set lintel, Cll, with masks. Tower clock chamber has 9 re-set carved stones showing country activities, Cll. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has triple round responds, Cll, with incised capitals. To its right, restored pointed opening. Chancel has C18 butt purlin roof. East end has stained glass window, 1905. Fittings include small carved table, C17. Round font with blind arcading, on clustered shafts, benches, stalls and desks with shaped ends, wooden double lectern, octagonal panelled pulpit, all late C19. Donations board, 1833. Monuments include brass in alabaster frame, 1686. 3 Classical wall tablets, C19 and C20. 3 marble tablets, one of them oval, 1822, 1830, 1856. 2 C20 brasses. Large marble war memorial tablet with scrolled broken pediment, 1918. War memorial brass in wood frame, 1945.