Bulcote Holy Trinity


The southern part of
the churchyard
The western end of
the churchyard
The churchyard
to the north
The current
path and steps

The church is set on a hillside to the north of the village. Until 1926 it was within the village cluster. A new short section of the A612 road was built effectively bypassing the village Main Street. The new route bisected the field, which until then joined Holy Trinity to the village. A footpath from Bulcote Lodge and the lane from the old road, along which the congregation walked to church, was also cut. Most of the lane however is extant, and is still the main path trodden to access the church grounds. From this lane leads a long steep path with a series of steps. Recently the donation of part of the original paddock below the church has allowed a new path to be constructed leading from the main road at an easier incline and without steps.

From old paintings and the location of older grave markers it is likely that the existing church is sited in more or less the same position as the previous building, surrounded by burial ground on its south, west and north sides. The church is located only about 4 metres from the eastern boundary of the site. The adjacent lane is some 3 metres lower than the church ground level at this point. Burials within this area would therefore be likely to destabilise the building and could also prove to be dangerous to grave visitors.

The oldest burials are alongside the steps on the south side of the church. On small stone marker here is said to be date from the 1600s, but at the time of writing the date was not distinguishable. The largest number of surviving grave markers are to the west of the church. More recent burials are on the north side. Interments still take place in this area.

Alongside the path leading to the church there is a dedicated area forming a Garden of Rest. Fairly recently a small extension was built on the west end of the church to create toilet facilities etc. This necessitated the removal of some earth and the construction of a stone retaining wall. Three grave markers originally set against the west gable are set into this wall. The one nearest the northwest corner is dedicated to Samuel Abbott who died in 1856 – only five years before the church was rebuilt. During the shallow excavations for the drainage system a brick burial chamber was discovered near the buttress supporting the northwest corner of the church. It containing the lead coffin of Samuel Abbott identified by his coffin plate. It was not disturbed in any way and remains intact.

A complete list of the grave markers, their location, inscriptions, descriptions and where possible the manufacturing masons details recorded in 2007 is available.

On the side of the path leading to the church a number of iron and glass lanterns provide illumination. They date from the late 1970s and were made locally by a blacksmith who was employed on Bulcote Farm.

The site is enclosed on the south side by a wooden post and rail fence along the new path, and on the west side by mature trees and hedges. Along the north perimeter which is set high on a bank above the lane there is a mixture of trees shrubs and fencing. The eastern boundary is open but on a high bank as mentioned before The churchyard is rural by nature and well maintained. In the spring it is carpeted with a variety of low growing wild flowers.