For this church:
Key to Fittings
This was formerly the High Altar of the Old Church. It is probably 17th Century.
This font, located near the south door, was presented in 1909, after the church had been restored and reopened, by Mrs Chaworth-Musters, in memory of her late husband John. It is a rectangular font in 11th century style with an arcaded base.
A marble font (a black and white bowl on alabaster and red marble pillars) costing £55 10s 0d was given in November 1880, but, Frank Lyons observes, “mercifully it was destroyed in the Great Fire”.
The Norman font is described in the visitor leaflet as 11th century, but the Revd AMY Baylay, in his Lecture to the Thoroton Society of 1912, regarded it as 12th century and stated that it was made for the Norman Church, which was erected in about 1150. It was transferred into the Old Church beside the Hall in 1356 and moved into the New Church in 1924, the Revd GA Lejeune, Vicar, together with William Waplington and Arthur Colledge, Churchwardens, having petitioned Edwyn, Lord Bishop of Southwell, for permission to move it.
The cylindrical bowl has a “sunk-star” ornament, below which is a bold and effective decoration composed of broad, interlacing bands. There are the remains of the original fastenings for a cover, which was lost at the dissolution. The present cover was made in 1974.
The marble pulpit dates from the restoration of the church in 1909, replacing the 1874 pulpit given by Revd C H Prance.
This dates from the 1909 restoration, following the fire of 1907.