Much ancient glass was left in the Old Church as it became more and more derelict
until, on the initiative of Nevil Truman, an Associate of the British Society
of Master Glass Painters, and with the consent of Colonel Chaworth-Musters,
it was transferred to St Giles Church, Holme, (also known as Holme-by-Newark),
a small hamlet by the River Trent. Mr Horace Hinks of Hinks and Burrell carried
out the work.
In Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 51 (1947), Truman described
the glass he had saved. His summary is given here:
South-east window (1363)
Trans. Tracery of square-headed window filled with plain red, but traces of
seaweed diaper existed. Very small pieces only remained in the smaller traces.
Middle window (1363)
A plain yellow stain band round traceries and main lights. One quarry of grey-green
glass with matt acorns and leaves of stiff design.
South-west window (1363)
A plain yellow stain band round traceries and main lights.
1363:Quarry “P” Two
fragments on thick green-white glass in yellow stain.
1686:Quarry “P” One
complete late copy of above on thin white glass with very bright and deep yellow
stain, trellis border on four sides. 18th century leading. Probably done for
Patricius Chaworth, 1686, which name and date are on the plaster arms in the
sides and top. Simple single cusp on white. The border, in white paint on clear
glass, shows a scrolled wreath in yellow and matt of Renascence type, the drawing
coarse (same design as at Egmanton and Leicester Museum). One canopy top ditto.
East Window South aisle tracery
In 1363 William de Wakebridge and Robert de Annesley founded a chantry and
built this aisle, the glass being contemporary. The border common to all these
traceries is on green-white glass, a dotted pattern with band in matt, the
yellow stain being on the back. Smear stained.
Quatrefoil, Our Lady
On a blue diaper ground, Our Lady, in an orange cloak and brown-pink girdled
robe, sits on a white and yellow Gothic throne of chest type. The head and
hands missing, but the leads showed that they were respectively crowned and
folded in prayer. With the next light forming a “Coronation.”
Quatrefoil, Our Lord
On a blue diaper ground, Our Lord, in a brown-pink bordered mantle and yellow
stain vest with plain border and a single fleur-de-lis as motif on the front.
The white face short bearded in straight hair, the eyes having no irises; flowing
hair parted in the middle. Yellow stain halo with cross pattern thereon. Right
hand raised to bless Our Lady in the next light. Left hand holds an orb with
a plain cross in yellow stain.
In brown smear on green-white, with a broad plain yellow border. The diaper
of conventional seaweed foliage (early type) in the four semicircles. A deep
green border round the inner circle surrounded a (missing) shield and had matt
As the brown quatrefoil above save that the diapers are in green seaweed and
the border has a matt dotted design. A red circular surround for the (missing)
shield was fitted here out of the loose pieces from Colonel Musters.
Four Tracery Lights
A four-lobed pattern on very green-white glass with an eagle border matching
the border pieces above mentioned. The eagle only is in yellow stain. This
border encloses one upright acorn between two stiff oak leaves in matt. Of
these four lights, two were much broken.
The lower halves of three angels in the side tracery lights which, from their
position. once held thuribles thrown above their beads. Portions remaining
showed the waist downwards. The waist- band in yellow stain and the bottom
of the skirts embroidered in circles. Bare feet. Thick shading. One alb with
two bands of embroidery, one with the band in the middle; one with the band
at lower edge. All within a border of plain green-white thick glass.
Note: Angels of the Decorated period usually had coloured robes, so
these are uncommon.
Four Quarter Circle Traceries
On green-white within a broad plain yellow-stain border, a thin seaweed diaper
in brown smear.
One Portion of Large Quatrefoil
Similar to the “brown” and “green” ones listed previously.
Thin seaweed diaper in brown smear. This was the bottom quarter surrounding
One Portion of Large Quatrefoil
Similar to above, but green. A semi-circular side-piece.
A semi-circle of matt vine leaves on plain green glass.
Main Light Border
Red rectangles between turrets and vine leaves in yellow stain on white.
Loose Pieces found by Colonel Chaworth-Musters in the Yard and given to Nevil
Truman, November 1932.
In 1912 and 1916, the Transactions of the Thoroton Society mention
“remains of quarry glazing in the east window.” These are now lost,
unless they form part of the following collection, all of which is now in Holme-by-Newark
Church, and which (as it matches glass existing in the Felley Chapel East Window)
came from the latter.
Eagle in yellow stain and matt on green-white, standing on foliage.
[1 piece of 6" and a head only of 3"].
Plain Red. 2 of 3"; 4 of 2"; 2 of 2½”.
Castle. A two-staged battlemented finial in matt on green-white with
yellow stain applied on the back. [3 pieces of 6"].
Vine. A small bunch of yellow stain grapes and a large vine leaf in
matt on green-white with yellow stain on the back. Two pieces have shoulders
to fit the curve of a light at its top. The design is paralleled at Oxford
Cathedral, where the date is 1367-9. [4 pieces of 4" and 2 of 3"].
From the portions in situ in one light in 1932 it can be stated that the border
of the main lights of the cast window in the Felley Chantry was alternatively
of castles and vines between plain red. The whole surrounded with a white edging.
Trailing Acorns. Many were broken, but I reconstructed these to make
19 whole or half quarries and 11 plain ones. The grey glass is thick. The design
is a flowing one trailing across the quarries and linking up with neighbours.
The upper halves have yellow trellises. The acorns and leaves are stained yellow,
the design in matt and the acorn cups are cross hatched. The designs are rarely
symmetrical. Some have a bordered line down the centre enclosing a line of
small trefoil-headed sprigs. The same pattern is in Waterperry Church, Oxfordshire,
where it formed the bulk of a window which had a small donor at the foot of
The East Window of the Felley Chapel must have been a magnificent window of
the quarry and band type, i.e. with its large lights glazed with grey acorn
pattern, across which, at intervals, appeared a band of coloured saints or
scenes, the tracery lights being filled with shields and small saints brilliantly
Deep Blue Robe
Dec. c1370Two pieces
shaded, one roundish, the other long and irregular. They appear complete in
themselves to fill small side traceries and may have been curtain draperies.
Dec.A large square unbroken,
being the lower half of the Crucifix with two feet and the robe of God the
Father. At the edge there is some miniature Decorated Gothic window work. The
loin cloth of the Son and the dress of the Father are in yellow stain. The
rood feet are held by one nail. Stipple shaded and delicately drawn all in
matt on thick green-white glass. The legs long and graceful, the navel defined.
Much pitted with corrosion, which is not present where the stain appears on
the back of the glass.
Perp.A pair of feet
on a yellow ground with matt grass tufts between them. Coarsely and poorly
On thickish green-white. Indecipherable.
Made-up Panel from Colonel Musters containing
||A “P” quarry.
||Three (once four) pieces of red flashed glass of conventional floral
||Head. Top half, on white. Yellow stain halo and short curly brown hair.
||Pair of hands, left and right to match, with long fingers. the right
having a yellow-stain sleeve.
||Six pieces of tablet and flower work in pink, yellow, green, blue and
||Two “P” half-quarries edged with a broad yellow band between
two thick black lines. Only half the “P” being painted, the
rest being supposed to be behind the border.
||Two wide borders of pineapple in black and yellow on white.
||Small window with yellow stain walls around it.
||Piece of masonry - two quatrefoils within circles.
||Two “P” borders in black and yellow on white.