West Stockwith St Mary

Monuments and Memorials

A life-size marble monument of William Huntington in the north-east corner of the church: the statue has him reclining on his elbow and holds a paper with a ship in his hand. The inscription reads:

Here lies the Body of

WILLIAM HUNTINGTON

Late of this Place Ship-Carpenter, second Son of JOHN and

MARY HUNTINGTON who by his Last Will & Testament after ye

Death of his Mother & the Marriage or Death of his Widow gave

Seven Hundred and Forty Pounds for ye Building of Ys CHAPPEL

and HOSPITAL round about it, and for ye Support of a MINISTER

SCHOOL MASTER, & ten Poor Ship-Carpenters widows and other

CHARITYS, bequeath'd all his Lands in West Stockwith

Gunhouse and Misterton for ever,

He dyed Decembr. the 24. 1714 Aged Forty one years.

The Executing of his Will was committed by ye Founders to ye care of

WILLIAM SAMPSON Junr Gent }  
MATTHEW SAMPSON Gent } of GAINSBOROUGH
Thomas LOWKER Mercht }  
HENRY SHAW Gent }  

 

 

 

The artist was E. Poynton.