West Stockwith St Mary

Official Listing Description

SK 79 SE





(east side)

Church of St. Mary
the Virgin with
boundary walls and gates
(Formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)

Grade II*

Parish Church, 1722, for William Huntington. Brick with pantiled roof and ashlar dressings. Brick plinth with moulded coping, chamfered quoins, moulded brick eaves band, moulded coped parapet and gables, moulded sills. Nave and chance under continuous roof, bell turret at west end, one storey, 4 bays. C18 addition, one storey, one bay, brick with pantiled roof, at east end. West side has to right, moulded ashlar door case with frieze and cornice; double-leaf 8 panelled dor with panelled overlight. Above, lozenge datestone inscribed 'W.H. 1722.' To left, 3 large round headed leaded windows with keystones. 2 decorative lead rainwater heads and downpipes. West end window similar. East side has, to left, round headed doorway with keystone containing C20 double-leaf panelled door with fanlight, and to right, 2 round headed leaded windows with keystones. Above, to west, timber bell turret, 2 stages, with leaded first stage, 4 louvred bell openings with pointed heads and Gothick tracery. Moulded cornice, square domed lead roof with decorative weather vane and cross. Interior, plastered; splayed window reveals. Elaborate plaster cornice to coffered ceiling with central acanthus leaf boss and C20 light fittings. Stained glass 1842 in central window, north side. Fittings include plain baluster font, railing at west end with turned balusters, panelled open pulpit, carved eagle lectern and unusual framed pine pews, c.1900. East end has altar place flanked by single Ionic pilasters with decorative capitals, and beyond, single moulded doorcases with friezes and cornices; each with 6 panelled door. Above, inscribed panel, on either side, that to left with Lord's Prayer, that to right with Creed. Above again, scrollwork framed oval cartouche, that to left inscribed Blessed is he that considereth the poor, Psalm XLIst, verse 1st, that to right inscribed 'Let thy Priests be clothed with righteousnness, Psalm CXXXIId, verse IXth.' In north west corner, sculpted monument to William Huntington d.1714 by E. Poynton. Marble and slate. Moulded rectangular base, inscribed panelled frieze, flanked by 2 engaged square balusters, moulded cornice. Clothed reclining figure, partly draped, holding the draft of a ship. To right classical style memorials 1824 and 1809. 2 classical style memorials, 1825 and 1840, one tablet 1863. Outside to west, stone coped brick boundary wall with scrolled brackets and iron spearhead railing; 2 square brick gatepiers with tapered square caps and ball finials. To east, rendered brick boundary wall with stone coping, enclosing burial ground. To south, double-leaf close boarded gateway with timber lintel; to east, 2 niches. Central C19 panelled stone font.