For this church:
Warsop St Peter and St Paul
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored and re-roofed and organ chamber built, 1878. Coursed and coursed squared rubble and dressed stone. Gabled and lean-to slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, moulded parapets, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. West tower, Cll and C14, 3 stages, has clasping and corner buttresses of different sizes, some gabled. String course, moulded crenellated parapet, 2 gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has to south additional buttress, 2 setoffs. To west, restored Cll round headed door with imposts. Above, restored round headed window. Second stage has to south a round headed window and 2 stair lights. Above, clock, 1844, to south and east. Third stage has 4 C14 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads. Nave clerestorey has on each side moulded band and 3 gargoyles. 3 restored late C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, square reveals and hood moulds. North side has 3 similar double lancets. North aisle, C14, has chamfered eaves and moulded parapet. Diagonal buttress to east, corner buttress to west, intermediate buttress to north, 2 setoffs. North side has to east, ogee headed triple lancet with square headed reveal. To west, blocked round headed door flanked by single similar C14 double lancets. Organ chamber has moulded plinth, eaves and sill band. To east, cusped trefoil headed lancet. To north, a pair of similar lancets. Chancel has moulded eaves and parapet and on each side, 2 gargoyles. To east, pair of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. North side has to east, blocked late C14 window with four centred arched head and hood mould. East end has sill band and late C14 6 light lancet with cusped heads, panel tracery and hood mould. South side has additional off-centre buttress, 2 setoffs. Off-centre blocked C14 priest's door. To its left, late C14 triple lancet with cusped heads, four centred arch reveal and hood mould. To its right, truncated C13 triple lancet with cusped heads, trefoils, hood mould and mask stops. 2 bay vestry, c.1500, has chamfered and moulded plinth, eaves band, crenellated parapet and remains of 2 gargoyles. 3 buttresses, 2 setoffs, the central one with incised sundial. Windows are single lancets with cusped heads, square headed reveals and hood moulds, one with mask stops. East end has a single lancet and above, ogee headed niche in parapet. South side has 2 lancets. West end has door with four centred arched head and hood mould. South aisle, 3 bays, C13, has sill band and moulded eaves. To east, 3 corner buttresses plus intermediate buttress, 2 setoffs. East end has restored C13 triple lancet with cusped trefoil heads, hood mould and 3 mask stops. South side has 2 double lancets, 1878. West end has C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and hood mould. South porch, C13, restored C19, has moulded eaves. 2 coped gables, one with cross. 2 flanking buttresses. South doorway double moulded and rebated, with shaft responds with water holding bases and waterleaf capitals. Interior has stone benches and scissor braced roof. Restored C13 inner doorway, cove and roll moulded with hood mould and mask stops. Single shafts with water holding bases and capitals with nailhead bands. Nave south arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 piers and matching responds, square with 4 engaged filleted shafts. Water holding bases and integral round seats. Moulded quatrefoil capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. North arcade, C14, 3 bays. 2 octagonal piers and east respond with square plinths, water holding bases and octagonal capitals. West respond has moulded base and capital and keeled shaft. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Roof, C15 style, moulded timbers, arch braces on corbels, 2 mask and 2 foliate bosses. Tower arch, C11, has moulded round head with 2 rows of large zigzag moulding. Cable moulded round responds, square imposts and moulded scrolled capitals. Roll moulded flanking shafts with reel moulding. Baroque style oak screen, 1930. North aisle has to east, unglazed C14 double lancet, flanked to right by a C14 moulded bracket. Lean-to roof, 1878. South aisle has similar roof. East window has stained glass panel, C20. South side has window with stained glass, 1933. West end has window with stained glass Arms of Samuel Hallifax, 1781. Chancel arch, late C14, restored 1878. Double chamfered and rebated with octagonal responds with crenellated capitals. Chancel north side has to west, arched opening containing organ in Gothic case, 1892. East end has stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt to Richard Fitzherbert, 1906. South side has to east, combined sedilia and piscina, late C14, with 4 ogee headed openings in square headed opening with hood mould and mask stops. To its right, Cll priest's door. To west, window with stained glass, 1919. Restored C15 roof with arch braces on angel corbels, arched tie beams and 4 carved bosses. Vestry has fragments of C16 stained glass in all 3 windows. C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include octagonal font, C19. Traceried pulpit with marble shafts, C19. Traceried panelled octagonal font, C19, in C14 style. Moulded late C19 oak benches. Oak reredos in C15 style, 1913. Memorials include scrolled and draped cartouche to John Roileston, 1684. Brasses to Henricus Lukin, 1630; to George Fothergill, 1633; to Oliverus Dand, 1655. 6 brasses to Wylde family, 1694-1801. 5 brasses, C18. 4 brasses, C19. 8 brasses, C20. Marble tablet to Samuel Hallifax, Bishop of St. Asaph, 1790. Timber and brass war memorial.
War memorial. c.1920. Limestone ashlar and granite. Square plinth of 2 steps. Bolection moulded square pedestal with inscription to east. Panelled square shaft with pilastered panelled frieze and cornice. East side has granite panel dated 1939-45. Above, panel with sword and above again, inscription 'Pro Patria 1914-1918'. North and south sides have inscribed panels.
Boundary wall. Mid C19. Coursed squared rubble with gabled stone coping. L-plan with rounded corner. To south, gate with panelled ashlar piers with hipped ashlar caps. Pair of iron spearhead gates. Scrolled foliate wrought iron overthrow and lamp bracket. To north, gateway with similar piers and C20 gates. Included for group value only.
Group of 4 headstones. C18. Ashlar. To left, moulded double stone with scrolled head, winged hourglass and winged serpent. To John and Mary Foster. 1725. To its right, scrolled head stone to Ann Mason. 1713. To right again, moulded arch headed stone to Richard Willee. 1724. To right again, panelled, arch headed double stone to Elizabeth Herring. 1750. Verse inscription.
Group of 3 head- stones adjoining south side of tower at Church of St. Peter and St. Paul G.V. II Group of 3 headstones. C17 and C18. Slate, ashlar and dressed stone. To left, stone with segmental head, to William Smith. 1681. To its right, slate stone to Joseph Hoore. 1754. Signed 'Wm Charles Sculp.'. To right, stone with chamfered corners inscribed '?K ..... Middleton wife of Thomas A D 1649'.