For this church:
Warsop St Peter and St Paul
The East Window is unusual in the sense that it has an even number of lights (6), rather than odd. The left-hand three depict the Crucifixion and the right-hand three the Ascension scene with Christ in the center and the disciples to the left and the right. Above the main lights there are some smaller windows, ten in all, with depictions left to right of ‘Instruments of the Passion’ - items used in the Crucifixion: from left to right a whipping post plus whips, one with a spear and reed, one with the three nails and crown of thorns, one with INRI inscribed in a shield form, one with a robe and dice, and one with the hammer and pincers.
The East Window is inscribed at the bottom left hand corner:
To the Glory of God and the memory of a good man Sir Richard FitzHerbert Bart. Rector of Warsop from 1872-1896 and Lord of the Manor from 1896-1906.
The window is complete with the FitzHerbert and Diocese of Southwell Crests. The window is inscribed on the right hand side:
Given by the parishoners of Warsop and friends July 1906.
This is a three light window which has depicted (left to right) St Peter, Our Lord, and St Paul. it is inscribed:
AMDG in affectionate memory of Richard John King curate 1878-1896 Rector 1896-1919. Erected by relatives friends and parishoners. We thank God upon every remembrance of him.
The glass in the centre of the window contains an original work depicting St Joan of Arc given by the people of Spion Kop when the Mission there closed down. Artist unknown at the point of writing this document.
The remaining glass in this window is plain.
For obvious reasons this is the newest piece of stained glass in the church. It depicts the Madonna and Child. The window was constructed and installed by Mick Stokes and was designed by Sallie Wood, a local designer and member of the congregation. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Southwell, the Rt Rev George Cassidy on 21st April 2002. There was a delay in getting the window in as the parish was in interregnum, so the process was held up slightly.
There are three windows of 13th and 14th century origin. There is a specimen of heraldric glass of the Lexington Arms - argent a cross paty azure which translated means “the field of white glass beautifully diapered”.
There is also a head of a female saint and a portion of a nimbus with side locks from another figure and a man wearing a wide brimmed Flandrith bever hat.
All other windows in the church are of plain glass.