For this church:
Underwood St Michael and All Angels
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1890. Designed by J. A. Chatwin for Earl Cowper. C14 style. Ashlar with plain tile roof and shingled spire. Chamfered plinth, coped gables with kneelers, buttressed. Single side wall stack. Windows are C14 style lancets with intersecting tracery. Nave, baptistry, north and south aisles, north transept, south east tower, chancel, south porch. Nave west end has 5 light lancet. Baptistry, single bay, has to north, 2 lancets. To west, triple lancet. To south, a lancet. North aisle, 4 bays, has at west end, double lancet. North side has 4 similar lancets. South aisle has 4 similar lancets. North transept has 2 diagonal buttresses. To west, door. North gable has triple lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north a double lancet. East end has string course, diagonal buttresses and 4 light lancet. Inscribed panel referring to memorial clock, 1919. Tower, 2 stages, has moulded string courses, diagonal east buttress, and to west, octagonal turret with crenellated parapet. Moulded coped parapet with 4 gargoyles. Set back octagonal spire with 4 lucarnes with double lancets. Weathercock. First stage has to south, triple lancet. Above, to west, south and east, cusped double lancet with square headed reveal. Second stage has 4 paired lancets with linked hood moulds. Above each, clock. South porch has to west, triple lancet, and to south, chamfered and rebated doorway. Nave arcades, 4 bays, have round piers with moulded bases and capitals, matching octagonal responds, and moulded arches. Double purl in principal rafter roof with arch braces on corbels. Cusped struts and wind braces. WEst end has archway with late C20 screen and doors. North and south aisles have at east ends, chamfered arched doorways. South aisle has shouldered door at west end. Both have lean-to roofs with arch braces. Moulded and rebated chancel arch has clustered shaft responds and hood mould. Chancel north side has to west, opening containing organ in panelled case. East end has sill band and memorial window by A. Orr, 1920. South side has aumbry and arched opening to vestry with glazed screen. Scissor braced roof. Vestry, organ chamber, west end vestibule and porch have scissor braced roofs. Fittings include panelled stalls and desks with open bookstands and shaped ends. Plain benches. Traceried panelled octagonal wooden pulpit on ashlar base. Panelled octagonal font, C14 style. Monuments include late C19 marble and slate tablet and crested alabaster tablet to Earl Cowper, 1890.
Lych gate. 1890. designed by J A Chatwin for Earl Cowper. Ashlar and timber with hipped and cross gabled plain tile roof. Walls have chamfered coping. Timber post framework has principal rafter roof with collars and struts. Gable openings have arch braces and bargeboards. Gable cross. Pair of spike top gates.