Features and Fittings
Georgian Wooden Fittings
One of the main interest points in the church is its Georgian furnishings:
and Reader’s Desk
The original triple-decker pulpit has probably been altered as the present
one is double in parts. There is a lower seat, reading desk and pulpit with
Other Georgian Features
Evident in the church are high deal box pews, a squire’s pew, a high
chancel rail and a west gallery.
across the nave, and showing the box pews
chancel, showing the high rail (and the commandment boards)
from the chancel - the west gallery is clearly visible
The Royal Coat of Arms over the chancel is also Georgian, based on the original
which was compulsory after the Restoration in 1660.
Other Items of Interest
The altar was given by Gwen Wakefield (Carter) in memory of her husband. It was made by Arthur Swann, of Barratt and Swann, of Cropwell Butler, Nottinghamshire. The inscription on the altar reads:
GEORGE EDWARD CARTER
25th JANUARY 1903 TO 27th OCTOBER 1959
THIS ALTAR WAS GIVEN IN LOVING MEMORY
OF GEORGE CARTER OF TYTHBY GRANGE
BY HIS WIFE AND FOUR DAUGHTERS.
IT WAS DEDICATED 30th MARCH 1969
The Church Council minutes for 30th January 1969 record that ‘The new altar has been installed at Tythby, Mrs Wakefield’s wishes with regard to dedication has been sought.’
The dedication was carried out at the Palm Sunday Matins Service on 30th March 1969. The service was led by the Rev Phillip Davidson.
The font is probably 14th century. During the commonwealth it was cast out
and broken in two. At the restoration it was replaced and repaired. It bears
the date 1662 cut in stone on the panels. Also inscribed are the initials TS & MD,
with the annotation CW, suggesting that the initials are those of the churchwardens
when the font was restored.
The font is small and octagonal. The break in the lid shows it once had a
hinged cover. It stands 40" on its step and has a lead lined bowl of 22". The
joint of the repair is clearly seen near the top of the fluted shaft base.
There is a 14th century priest’s door in the south wall of the chancel.
Two boards on the East end of the chancel display the ten commandments and
there are others within the main church displaying charities.
(The smaller board to the right of the one shown carries the Lord’s
The Marriott Charity monument is a painted board on a wall of the nave of
the church and is inscribed:
late of Cropwell-Butler, in this
deceased, by his Will gave unto
his brother JOSEPH MARRIOTT,
Cousin WILLIAM MARRIOTT,
and the Church-
wardens, and overseers of the Poor of Crop
for the time being,
the sum of one hundred pounds,
to put the same out at Interest, from time
on real or Government security,
or securities, and to lay out the Interest
in the purchase of Bread,
and distribute the same, on Christmas-Day,
every Year, unto such of the Poor of
Cropwell-Butler aforesaid, as they,
JOSEPH, and WILLIAM MARRIOTT,
their lives, and the survivor of them during
his life, and after
the deaths of them, the
said JOSEPH, and WILLIAM MARRIOTT,
Churchwardens and Overseers of the
Poor, for the time being, should
discretion think fit.
The above money was in Novr.
invested in the purchase of the sum of
one hundred, and two pounds seventeen
shillings, and three pence,
Navy five per
Annuities, in the names of the said
(then overseer of the
Poor,) & WILLIAM MARRIOTT.
The execution of this benefaction is still carried out. The churchwardens
to, supervise, the distribution of loaves on the morning of Christmas day at
the Cropwell bakeries of Mr. Cheetham and Mr. Branston.
The other bread charity of Mr Fillingham is also recorded on two painted
canvasses hung side by side. One of these reads:
of Cropwell-Butler, who died ye
16 day of February, 1779, hath
Paid to Mr. John Parr, Mr.
Marriott, Mr. John Marriott, of
Cropwell-Butler & Mr. Martin
Newbray, of Sutton, in ye parish
of Granby, Fifty Pounds, in trust
to Place at Interest, or to Invest ye
Same, in the Purchase of Lands,
and to Pay the Interest & Produce
on the First day of January, Yearly,
for Ever, in Money, or the Value in
Bread, to such of the Poor Inha-
-bitants, belonging Cropwell-
Butler, only, as they and their
Executors, or Church-wardens &
Overseers, shall think fit.
and the other:
WILLIAM FILLINGHAM, of Crop
=wel-Butler, agreeable to the cha-
intention of Mary Fil-
=lingham, his Daughter, who died
on the 10 day
of November, 1777,
hath paid to Mr. John Parr &
=seph Marriott, and Mr. John
=riott, of Cropwell-Butler, and Mr.
Martin Newbray, of Sutton, in the
Parish of Granby, Fifty Pounds, in
to place at Interest, or to in-
=vest the same, in the purchase of
and to pay the Interest, and
Produce, on the Feast of St. Tho-
Apostle, Yearly, for ever,
in Money, or the value in Bread,
to such of
the poor Inhabitants,
belonging to Cropwell-Butler,
only, as they and
Executors, or the Church-war-
dens, & Overseers, shall think fit.
There is an oak lectern.
There is a row of hat pegs in the chancel and a poppy head bench and pew.
The wrought iron candlesticks on the walls were made by Jesse Goodband, one
time churchwarden and the last of the Tythby blacksmiths.
The key is nearly 10 inches long and weighs 1lb 6½oz.
Initials “I.R. + D; C.W.” have been cut on a roof beam in 1742,
at which time the roof underwent repair.
On a ladder in the belfry is incised “H.B. T.M.- C.W.”, again
the initials of two churchwardens.
There are also several leads from the earliest roof showing craftsmen’s
marks and a tile, which was ploughed up and thought to have come from St Nicholas’.
The Church registers record basic details of births and burials from 1559
and marriages from 1583. There are 220 sittings.