For this church:
St Michael and All Angels
The church is on Outram Street, and was designed by John Fowler of Louth. The foundation stone was laid in October 1886. The church is stone built, some of it from Ancaster.
Initially only part of the church was built – a three-bay chancel in Early English style, a vestry, and an organ chamber. As such it was opened in September that year. When complete it was to have nave with north and south aisles, and a north porch which were added in 1909 by the architect Louis Ambler.
The sacrarium is five steps above the nave. The roof of the chancel was boarded inside and divided into panels. The windows are set high in the building, the east one with five lights, two windows at the north end.
There are encaustic and plain tiles on the floor. The altar and altar rails are of English oak. There is one bell, by Taylors, on the north wall of the chancel.
The parish is now part of the New Cross Community Church Anglican/Methodist Local Ecumenical Partnership. St Michael’s Church building itself is no longer in use for worship and was put up for sale in 2003.
Particular thanks to Jessica Key for research on this entry.