View of the church from the south

South Leverton

All Saints

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery

Introduction

A church in South Leverton is mentioned in Domesday where “half a church” on the land of Roger de Busli is listed. Examination of two stones in the west wall of the church suggest that a church of some significance existed here in the 12th century.

The present church, which lies at the north end of the village, consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, porch, vestry and tower. As well as a font dated to the late 12th century there is a fine Norman doorway. The lovely nave arcades are from around 1220. A south aisle was added in about 1300 and the north aisle c1340. The tower is dated to the 12th century. The porch is nineteenth century. Within the fabric of the west wall of the nave and tower are several interesting carved stones, internally and externally.

The parish registers date from 1605.

Particular thanks to Dee Ashton and team for research on this entry