For this church:
Shelford St Peter and St Paul
Nottinghamshire Archives Office
NAO PR 2869 for mission room at Newton.
NAO PR 19,820 for moving of organ and war memorial within church.
NAO PR 19,821 for exchange of bell with Widmerpool.
NAO DD 1702/3/132/1 on Newton chapel.
NAO DRI/3/2/156/1-14 early Shelford terriers.
NAO PR 2862-4 Shelford terriers for 1809, 1887, 1908.
NAO PR 2865-7 churchwardens accounts 1691-1780, 1831-1933.
NAO M461 Transcriptions of the Archdeaconry Court of Nottingham 1565-1675.
NAO Z392 microfilm of the Torre mss relating to Nottinghamshire (c.1692).
Some nineteenth century churchwardens documents.
University of Nottingham
AN PB 292/5/2, 295/2/48, 295/5/78, 297/2, 314/1/50, 314/2/33, 314/3/48, 314/5/48, 316/85; AN PV 374 (repairs in 1718 and 1722); AN M 269/25/1 (schedule of 1729).
Dil. 1878/42 re Shelford vicarage dilapidations.
In private hands
Notebook of John Wakefield (owned by Eileen Smith).
Notebook of William Walker (owned by Pat Walker).
Material on Newton chapel collected by Douglas Harrison of Radcliffe-on-Trent.
M H Barker, Walks round Nottingham (1835) pp137-146
J C Cox, Country churches: Nottinghamshire (1912) pp182-3
G A Dawson, Church Bells of Nottinghamshire Part Three (1995) pp196-7, 249-50
Department of Environment: listed buildings of special architectural or historical interest in the Borough of Rushcliffe. Not. 1 D34 DEP. 1/118
J T Godfrey, Notes on the churches of Nottinghamshire, Bingham Hundred (1907) pp403-31
E L Guilford, ed., Nottinghamshire in 1676, Transactions of the Thoroton Society 28 (1924) p110
H B Kendall, The origin and history of the Primitive Methodist Church (n.d.)
G Mabbs, The Churches in Nottinghamshire, a provision of public worship in The Midlands District (1879) p.61
R A Marchant, The Restoration of Nottinghamshire Churches 1635-40, Transactions of the Thoroton Society 65 (1961) p.83
N Pevsner, Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire (2nd edn. 1979) p.xxx
J Pickworth-Hutchinson, ed., A Short Guide to the Parish Churches of the Bingham Rural Deanery (1963)
P Priestland, A thousand years of Shelford and Newton, (Shelford and Newton Parish Council 2000), pp.31-48 (St Peter and St Paul), p 32 (Newton chapel), pp 49-54 (Methodism), pp34, 39, 40-1, 43, 46 (clock)
Rev R Simpson, State of the church in the county of Nottingham and diocese of York (1836) p 38
Rev J Standish’s report on Shelford church, Transactions of the Thoroton Society (1903), vol 7 pp.38-62
Stretton Mss (privately printed 1910) pp85-8.
R Thoroton (and J Throsby), The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire (republished 1972), vol I pp287-292
K Tweedale Meaby, Nottinghamshire: extracts from the county records of the eighteenth century (1946)
M R Watts (ed.), Religion in Victorian Nottinghamshire: the religious census of 1851 (University of Nottingham, Adult Education Department, 1988), vol II p306
W F Webster, Protestation Returns 1641/2 Notts/Derbys (1980), p44
Yorkshire Archaeological Society: vol 77 (1930), Archbishop Herring’s Visitation 1743
The text has been compiled by Pamela Priestland, supported by members and associates of Radcliffe-on-Trent Local History Society and parish officials of Shelford and Newton. Additional information from experts has been acknowledged in the text.