For this church:
Shelford St Peter and St Paul
List of Incumbents
There is no list in Shelford church, nor has J T Godfrey compiled one. James Torre (c1692) gives only the names of priors, and indicates that when the church was appropriated to Shelford Priory ‘it was without an incumbent’. There is evidence that the priory used the parish church, despite having a small church on its own site, but there are no references to clerics who were independent of the priory in the medieval bishops’ registers published by the Surtees Society. It therefore seems likely that the parish church was without incumbents from at least the early fourteenth century until the dissolution of the priory in 1536. The living became a permanent curacy until modern times, although the earlier incumbents are sometimes referred to as vicars.
The following list is largely based on the Archdeaconry Call Books from 1610 to 1859 held by the University of Nottingham. In addition parish registers, bishops’ transcripts, a Parliamentary commissioners’ report of 1650 in Godfrey, Crockford’s Clerical Directories, notes by Miss Florence Mee of Shelford and current knowledge have been used. Inevitably, there are gaps and uncertainties.
Richard Hutt presbyter d. 1442
Both Thoroton and Torre refer to the will of the above in which he requests that he should be buried in Shelford church. It has sometimes been assumed that he was therefore an incumbent, but this seems doubtful.
Seventeenth Century onwards
Dispensation to hold benefice with Radcliffe-on-Trent 1940
Union of benefices of Radcliffe-on-Trent and Shelford with Holme Pierrepont and Adbolton 1985