For this church:
According to G.A. Dawson, Shelford’s earliest surviving bell (one of the oldest in the county) was cast by an unknown founder in the fourteenth century. A tenor bell made about 1510 by the Mellers family of Nottingham also survives today. In Edward VI’s reign an inventory drawn up on 3 September 1552 records that by then there were four bells in the tower and a sanctus bell. The church also had two handbells. A new bell by was acquired in 1592 but this was exchanged in 1981, by George Oldfield, for the tenor bell of 1658 from Widmerpool in order to convert the Shelford ring from a minor to a major scale. Other bells were added or replaced in 1702, 1754 (recast in 1919 by Taylors of Loughborough) and 1990.
About 1702 a new timber bell frame was installed which lasted for more than two hundred years. Unusually, it was placed diagonally in the tower. The bells were hung anti-clockwise and rung from the ground floor. It was replaced in 1919 by a new realigned cast-iron frame and the canons on the crowns of the bells were removed. The original base beams for the old frame are still in the tower below the new frame. In 1990 the frame was extended for the sixth bell.The inscriptions and dimensions of the six bells are now as follows:
Additional information from Christine and Brian Mills.