For this church:
Radcliffe on Trent St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1879-80 by Goddard and Paget of Leicester. Rock faced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate, concrete pantiles and felt roofs. Single stack to vestry. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the west nave and east chancel. Buttressed apart from the south aisle. Set on a chamfered plinth. North west tower, nave, west porch, aisles, north vestry/organ chamber, south chapel and chancel. Tower with saddle-back roof and 4 gargoyles with band extending between, of 3 stages with bands. Further chamfered band over the plinth which extends to the north aisle and north organ chamber forming a sill band. The west side has a doorway with continuous hood mould over forming a sill band to the single arched 2 light window with tracery to the left. The band extends to the north tower. Above is a single lancet with single clock face over. There are 3 circular stair lights. The north side has a single window with 2 trefoil arched lights and single cusped circle over. Above are 3 lancets, with single lancet over. The east side has a single lancet with single clock face over. Each side of the bell chamber has a single pair of moulded arched openings, arches supported each side on 2 engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals. Over, to the south and north sides, are single lancets. The west nave has a lean-to porch with parapet rising to a gable over the trefoil arched entrance with moulded arch over and continuous hood mould. The north and south walls each have single quatrefoils enclosed within roundels. Inner moulded arched doorway with continuous impost bands. Over the porch is a single arched 3 light window with cusped tracery and continuous hood mould. In the apex is a single small rectangular blind recessed panel. The north aisle has 6 pairs of arched lights. In the clerestory are 3 windows each with 3 arched lights surmounted by a single cusped circle. To the left of the aisle is the organ chamber. In the east wall is a single lancet. Further left and set back is the vestry with chamfered band over the plinth which extends around the chancel and chapel. Single pair of lancets in the east wall. The north chancel has a single pair of tall lancets with continuous hood mould which extends to the east chancel and chapel. The east wall has a further band over the chamfered band, this extends to the south chapel forming a hood mould over the doorway. East chancel has 3 lancets, the single central lancet being taller. The east chapel has a single window comprising 3 lancets. South chapel has 2 pairs of lancets, to the left is a pointed chamfered arched doorway with moulded arch over supported on single colonnettes with moulded capitals. Further left is a single similar pair of lancets. In the west apex is a single circular light. The south aisle with chamfered sill band has 8 pairs of lights as the north aisle with a single similar pair of lights in the west wall. Clerestory with 4 windows as north clerestory. All windows apart from the east chancel and east chapel have flush ashlar quoin surrounds. Interior. 4 bay south nave and 3 bay north nave arcades with circular columns and responds and moulded capitals and arches with hood moulds. Moulded nave/tower arch with hood mould and screen, moulded north aisle/tower arch with screen. Moulded chancel arch, the inner order supported on sections of 3 engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals, in turn supported on corbels. Continuous impost bands. Over are 3 lancets, the single central lancet being taller. Moulded north aisle/organ chamber arch. Moulded south aisle/south chapel arch with screen. Chancel/south chapel 3 bay arcade. Moulded arches are supported on quatrefoil piers and responds with moulded capitals. Each arcade is sub-divided by a single colonnette with moulded capital supporting 2 trefoil arched openings with single open trefoils over. Moulded arched doorway to vestry. All nave and aisle windows apart from the west nave with continuous sill bands. West entrance with inner wood and glass porch. C19 and C20 furniture with ashlar pulpit and octagonal font decorated with blind traceried panels. To the right of the chancel arch is a brass plaque to Anne Ballard, 1626, this is decorated with an incised figure in contemporary dress flanked by single shields. Some C19 monuments. Single stained glass windows in south wall of south aisle by H. Hughes, 1875 and Guthrie, 1893.
99 Headstones. 1698 to 1836. Slate. To the south-west of the parish church of St Andrew is a triangular plot of land bordered on the north-east by a foot path, and on the west by the churchyard wall and on the south by a fence. Within this area are a large number of headstones, 99 of which are of listable quality. They are almost all slate with flat and curved tops and delicately inscribed fronts. They are layed out in very irregular north to south lines; starting from the east the following are of liftable quality. George Graves 1799: Anny Richmond 1792; Martha Richmond 1818: Ann Blasdall 1806: Thomas Richmond 1792: Martha Wood 1829: Timothy and Edith Buxton 1811: John and Ann Knight 1815: Mary Parr 1821: Martha Butler 1754: Ann Whittle 1731: John Corley 1739: Robert Abbott 1754: Mary Marriot 1817: Alice Corley 1789: Elizabeth Keen 1764: Thomas Scrimshaw 1836: Ann Scrimshaw 1823: Thomas Stone 1711: William and Mary Knight 1807: Thomas Knight 1795: John arid Mary Butler 1744: Richard Butler 1780: Mary Butler 1802: Ann Knight 1817: Ann Knight 1780: Sarah Butler 1768: William Sutton 1723: Joseph and Ann Bonren 1770: William Morley 1766: Ann Buxton 1776: John Weatherall 1787: John Taylor 1783: Richard and Martha Harwood 1754: Sarah Brown 1823 signed by Thomas Mawby: Mary Easter 1778: Edward Hallam 1788: Joseph and Ann Bonren 1782: Robert and Mary Buxton 1799: Richard Harwood 1732: Robert and Elizabeth Green 1807: John and Mary Green 1742: William Harwood 1719: Mary Finn 1808: Mary Barker 1795: Mary Butler 1729: Alice Butler 1737: George Duke 1738: John Walker 1768: Mary Godfrey 1782: Bessey Bennett 1780: Robert Butler 1779: Mary, William and Robert Watson 1792: Dorothy Barker Richard Doubleday 1756: William Green 1719: Mary Marshall 1773: George and Dorothy Barker 1793:John Green Jnr. 1724: John Graves 1791: John Green 1698: Mary Butler 1801: William Butler 1813: Mary Brewster 1731: John Brewster 1720: Mary Scrimshaw 1808: John Brewster 1746: John and Mary Brewster 1809: John and Sarah Brewster 1823: Joseph and Ann Brewster 1734: John Brewster 1788: John Parr 1740: Thomas Morley 1781: William and Sarah Morley 1771: Samuel Parr 1728: John Parr 1727: Joseph and Edward Watts 1759: William Parr 1736: William Parr 1786: John Parr 1781: Mary Parr 1793: Mary Parr 1771: Ann Whittle 1768: William Parr 1793: Elizabeth Parr 1777: Mary Parr 1737: Sarah Foster 1762: Mary Parr 1758: Richard Foster 1785: Elizabeth Foster 1816: Ann Foster 1742: Sarah and William Cooper 1787: Sarah and John Disney 1765: Mary Parr 1810: Alice and John Parr 1771: Samuel Parr late C18: Mary Parr 1755: Sarah Farr 1797: Thomas Parr 1803: Sarah Parr 1803.