For this church:
Radcliffe on Trent St Mary
ClockWhen the church originally acquired a clock is not clear, but the first known reference is in the will of Robert Hall drawn up on 21 November 1580. In 1734, the first year of extant churchwardens’ accounts, there was a backlog of about ten years of clock winding payments to be made up. Although the clock was repaired after the fall of the steeple in 1792, payments for its upkeep are not recorded after 1802. (A sundial for the church was donated by Charles Pierrepont.)
During the incumbency of William Bury, a new clock was provided to commemorate a visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to the village in December 1843. Surplus money raised for decorations was supplemented by private subscriptions and the clock, with two dials each of 6 feet in diameter and a pin-wheel escapement, was purchased in April 1844 for £85 from William Pearce of Nottingham. Boxing for the works, which weighed a ton, cost another £5 13s 6d. When the clock was moved into the tower of the rebuilt church, a plate was attached:
The purchase was a good investment for the clock keeps good time today and can still chime the hours on a tenor bell. Its construction date of 1844 is also still discernible. When the church tower was repaired in 2001-2, its works were moved up to the bell chamber and the bells lowered to the clock chamber. The opportunity was taken to convert the clock to electric winding.