For this church:
Nottingham St Mary
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C15, retaining late C14 fragments. Ashlar with lead roofs. South aisle restored and crossing vault replaced c1818-1820 by William Stretton. Rainwater head dated 1812. West end rebuilt in facsimile, and clerestory windows renewed 1845-1853 by WB Moffatt. Crossing piers restored 1843-1848 by Scott & Moffatt. Chancel reroofed 1872 by Scott. Chapter house to north-east 1890 by GF Bodley. Chapel to south-east 1912-1913 by Temple Moore. Choir vestry to north-west 1940. Restoration and cleaning of exterior stonework 1992-1993. Perpendicular style. PLAN: cruciform plan, with crossing tower and transepts. Aisleless chancel with vestry and chapter house to north, and chapel to south. Aisled nave with single storey choir vestry to north and porch to south. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, buttresses, crenellation and corner pinnacles. Chancel, 4 bays, has a 9-light east window with 3 transoms. To north two 4-light windows with double transoms, and to south a similar window. Vestry has an ogee gable with finial and a 4-light traceried window. Chapter house, single storey, has 4 flat-headed windows. South chapel, 4 bays, has 4-light windows with double transoms to east and south, with a smaller 2-light window to south west. Octagonal stair turret with spire to south-west. Crossing tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses, string courses and 8 pinnacles. Second stage has a 4-light opening on each side, with double transoms. Clock below openings to east and west. Bell stage has on each side a pair of 2-light openings with transoms, flanked by identical blanks. North and south transepts, 4 bays, have panelled crenellation and huge segment-arched gable windows, 12 lights, divided by major mullions and 3 transoms. Pointed arched side windows on 2 storeys, 4 lights, with major mullions, some to east covered by additions. On the west sides, an octagonal stair turret with spire, the south one dated 1811. Nave clerestory has 12 windows with tracery, 4 lights, on each side. North aisle has 11 similar larger windows with plainer tracery. Vestry, single storey, has 4 flat-headed windows. Adjoining corridor has doorway and 2 similar windows. South aisle has 11 windows, 3 lights, with intersecting tracery and transoms. Both aisles have a 2-light window to east. South porch, restored 1983, has a shallow gable with blind tracery, angle and side buttresses, and a heavily cusped doorway with double shafts. Inside, a stone vault with moulded ribs, triangular arched doorway flanked by niches, and voussoirs with large square fleurons. Sculpted bronze doors and tympanum, 1904, by Henry Wilson. West end has a shallow gabled porch flanked by buttresses, and above it, a 12-light window similar to the east end, with several lower lights blocked. On either side, two 4-light windows with a pointed arched door below them. INTERIOR has rectangular stone panelling throughout, with roll moulded frames. Chancel has a truss roof with arch braces on angle corbels. South arcade 1912, 3 bays, with screens. Canopied wooden screen and reredos, Decorated style, 1885, by Bodley & Garner. Vestry has early C18 panelling and fireplace, modillion cornice and scalloped half-dome over the north window. Chapter house has panelling, cross beam ceiling and ashlar corner doorway. South chapel has piscina and triple sedilia. Fragments of C15 stained glass in the windows. Crossing has composite piers and fan vault, and moulded arches without shafts. North and south transepts have canopied tomb niches in the gable ends, that to south early C15, that to north c1473 by Thomas Thurland. Aisles have moulded eastern arches and west doors flanked by single windows. Restored north door with ogee gable and flanking piers. Roll moulded south door. Nave arcades, 6 bays, have slender lozenge-section piers without capitals, and simple arches with roll hood moulds. Mainly C19 king post roof with traceried spandrels, and arch braces on angel corbels. Stained glass by major C19 designers including Hardman, 1865-1878, Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1867, Clayton & Bell, 1873-1891, Ward & Hughes, 1868, Burlison & Grylls, 1882 & 1903, Kempe, 1895-1905. Fittings include octagonal traceried panelled font, C15. Octagonal skeleton pulpit and brass eagle lectern, C19. Traceried panelled stalls, 1872, by Scott. Freestanding lion & unicorn, c1710. Bracket clock in north aisle, c1800. Memorials include C14 alabaster effigy, effigy in niche in south transept, c1413, to John Samon. Alabaster tomb chest in niche in north transept, c1414, to John de Tannesley, with resited mid C14 slab and late C15 figure. Some notable wall monuments, late C17-early C18. Many wall tablets, late C18-mid C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 219-223).
County war memorial comprising cross, steps, gates and flanking walls. c1920. Ashlar. Tall central cross on traceried octagonal base and stepped octagonal pedestal with an inscribed tablet. On either side, a tapering flight of steps. At the head of the steps, 2 pairs of wrought-iron gates. Flanking the steps, splayed walls with moulded coping and square pedestals topped with square iron lanterns. Inset in the walls, square Portland stone tablets inscribed with the names of Nottinghamshire parishes and the number of dead.
Churchyard walls, railings and gates. Mid C18, probably on earlier foundations. Brick walls with ashlar plinth and coping, topped with spiked wrought-iron railing with cast-iron supports. The railings enclose the rectangular churchyard, approx 100m x 50m. South side, to High Pavement, has a retaining wall approx 3m high, on an ashlar plinth. Near the centre, an elliptical arched doorway with a recessed 6-panel door. East side, to Stoney Street, has a similar retaining wall, and at the south corner a flight of stone steps leading to a single gate with cast-iron posts and wrought-iron lampholder. North side, to Kayes Walk, has a single gate at each end. West side, to St Mary's Walk, has a wall approx 1m high. War memorial and gateway at south-west corner included separately (qv).
Headstone. c1707. Pipeclay, overburnt. Double round-arched head and impressed lettering, largely illegible. Made by W Sefton, clay pipe maker, in memory of his 2 daughters. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 223).