For this church:
Norwell St Laurence
All the stained glass now in the church has been put in since the restorations by Ewan Christian in 1857-9 and 1872-5. Most of the clear glass is, however, of earlier date. The two windows of greatest interest are the east window and window in the north aisle, both of which were designed and made by Charles Kempe or his workshop. The clear glass consists of lozenge shaped tiles, 13cm x 7.5cm. Much of it dates from before the restorations and can be recognised as it is greenish and the surface is rough. This earlier glass is surrounded by small new glass tiles as specified by Christian.
Early C14 (restored); five light lancet with geometrical tracery. The glass was inserted in 1908. The window was designed by Charles Kempe at the request of the widow of James Brand, a citizen of New York. Kempe originally designed a crucifixion; Mrs Brand requested a nativity but finally accepted the crucifixion which is what is seen today. It was made after the death of Charles Kempe by his nephew Walter Tower who took over the chairmanship of the company. This is confirmed by the wheat sheaf (Kempe’s signature) containing a tower (Walter Tower’s signature) in the bottom left sector of the window.
Left to right the panels depict:
5 Early C14 (restored) triple lancet with cusped heads and geometrical tracery. The glass was commissioned in 1883 by C A Dennistoun and made by Lavers Barraud and Westlake of Endell Street, Bloomsbury (signature in bottom of left light on the right hand column). It was completed in 1887. The window depicts scenes from the life of St John the Divine.
From left to right the panels depict:
The dedication is on a brass plate below the window and reads:
10Window at the base of the tower. (See below for other tower windows.) C13 (restored), stained glass probably put in at the restoration in 1874. The glass is in a formal pattern imitating medieval glass with a dove descending.
13 C14 (restored) double lancet. The glass is dated 1903 and was made by Charles Kempe; see his signature (the wheat sheaf) in the bottom left corner. Note also the typical pinnacled city, as in the east window also by Kempe.
The two panels depict Jesus (right) being baptised by John the Baptist (left). Below the dove above Jesus are the words Tu est filius meus in te placui. The dedication is in the bottom right sector:
Left to right the panels depict:
There are three lights above, with a dove in the centre and two crowns below. Across the bottom of the window is the inscription:
This window is dedicated to the Glory of God and in loving memory of Edward Mitford Hutton-Riddell, who died 22nd October 1898, aged 53.
There are memorials to the Hutton-Riddell family immediately outside the window.
C15 (restored); on each side there are five triple lancets, pre-restoration plain glass.
The tower has four stages, the windows are as follows:
Stage 1:On the south side: South, C13 (restored), single lancet, pre-restoration plain glass. On the west: see above
Stage 2:South, west and north, C13 (restored), single lancet, pre-restoration plain glass
Stage 3:South, west and north, C13 (restored) double lancets, pre-restoration plain glass
Stage 4:All windows louvred for bells.
Glass Recorded by Thoroton in 1677
None of this glass remains
East window of north aisle (window 15 above):
Azure Semy de Lis Or, and England
The heraldic description of the arms suggests that this glass could have been put in as early as 1350. This coincides with a period when the prebendaries were resident in Norwell and may be linked with the history of the north chantry.
North window (probably window 14):
Chequer Or and Azure
East window of south aisle (window 5):
Arg. and a spread eagle Sable
England, and that with a File as before, and France and England quarterly, and Az. on a Fesse cotised Or, and three Libards’ heads Gules, LEE of Norwell.
Note the punning use of libards/leopards for Lee. Thoroton further notes that ‘these arms within a Border Gobone Erm. and Sab.’ were granted to Elizabeth Lee by Gilbert Dethick, Garter, on 6 October 1564.
Throsby (1796) also includes the information that there was painted glass in the chancel representing portions of scripture history.
With thanks to Tom Errington for help with understanding the glass.