For this church:
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
A church is mentioned in Domesday Book.
With Habblesthorpe (or Apesthorpe) it once formed two separate parishes which were united in March 1884. Habblesthorpe church was in ruins by the early 18th century.
Built of ashlar stone, the church now consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells dated 1661, 1694 and 1718. It dates from the Norman period with later additions, particularly those of the period c1300-40, ie the intersected tracery of the south aisle and the fantastically carved tracery of the chancel. Probably the oldest part is the south doorway (of c1200) with crocket capitals but a round arch with dogtooth. The masonry here and in other parts is very good.
The south aisle once had three bays, but now only the two easternmost ones remain, which open into a chapel containing a piscina; another piscina is in the south chancel wall. The octagonal piers of the arcade have finely moulded capitals. The chancel windows exhibit fine flamboyant tracery.
In 1874 the chancel was restored by G W Mason, lay rector, and in 1878 a complete restoration of the nave and aisle was effected and a new font and organ added.
This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.