For this church:
St Mary the Virgin
This church was built in 1928 and was dedicated on Saturday 15 December in that year. It was designed by Cyril F W Hasledine, Architect and erected by Hartley and Co. It is of simple brick construction, with a single span roof. Apart from minor alterations and re-roofing work following a fire, its present-day appearance matches that of 1928.
Whilst the church building dates from the time indicated, a church in Newstead (defined in terms of an organised congregation of worshippers) existed for some fifty years before that. Prior to the opening of Newstead Colliery in 1874 and the associated building of Newstead Colliery “Old Village”, people resident in that locality had walked across the Newstead Abbey Estate and worshipped in the Abbey Chapel. As the pit developed and the village increased in size, the need for a place of worship close at hand became pressing and services began to be held in suitable premises belonging to the Colliery. Later they were held in the Newstead Cemetery Chapel (completed in 1875 and located to the south of the community) and later the Schoolroom in the village became the venue for worship.
Particular thanks to David Turner for research on this entry