Morton St Denis

Official Listing Description

SK 75 SW




(east side)

Church of St. Denis

Grade II*

Parish church. 1756. Red brick and ashlar. Slate roof. Ashlar modillion cornice, forming a pediment at the east end and part pediment at the west end. Set on a plinth. Tower, nave and chancel under a single roof, with small apse and north vestry. Embattled tower with ashlar band running under, of 4 stages with brick bands. At each angle is a single recessed panel extending the height of the tower. West wall with arched doorway and double arched and glazed door 2 steps up. The band here denoting imposts. Over is a single rectangular recessed panel and above a single oeil de boeuf with glazing bar casement. The south side corresponds, however the doorway and window are blind. The north side is as the south, however the single storey , C19, lean-to vestry with single arched window in the west wall conceals the doorway. In the bell chamber are 4 arched openings. North wall has 3 arched openings each with late C19 window of 2 arched lights surmounted by single circle. The apse with ashlar cornice band and segmental side walls has in the east wall a single recessed arched panel. Above the impost bands is a light with ashlar sill band, below the panel is blind. The south wall corresponds to the north. Interior. West porch, contained within the tower, has doorways to the vestry and nave. C20 furniture. C18 dentil cornice.