For this church:
Mansfield Woodhouse St Edmund
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1310. Spire 1304. Restored 1847 by Sir G. G. Scott. Further restored 1859. Chancel restored 1878. Chantry chapel c.1920. Clergy vestry 1930. Snecked stone, dressed stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Slate, concrete tile and lead roofs, gabled and lean-to. West tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, chantry chapel, north and south porches. Moulded plinths, eaves and parapets. West tower. C 13. 2 stages. Single string course. 4 pairs of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs, those to east engaged with aisles. First stage has to south a small lancet. To west, shouldered C 19 door and sill band. Above, restored C 14 double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To north, a lancet. Second stage has 4 double cusped ogee headed bell openings with hood moulds. Clock faces to south and east. Octagonal broach spire has 4 gabled lucarnes with crosses, containing double ogee headed openings. Above, 4 similar smaller lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Nave has coped east gable with cross and single round window. North aisle restored C19 in C15 style. 4 bays. Single corner and 4 intermediate gable buttresses, 2 setoffs, 4 gargoyles. Side wall stack to west. West end had a C14 double lancet with decorated tracery. North side has 3 triple ogee headed lancets with Tudor arched reveals. North porch. C14, restored C19. 2 corner buttresses to north. Cove and roll moulded doorway with filleted shafts, round bases and capitals. Hood mould and mask stops. Large C19 hanging lamp. Interior has single wood bench and scissor braced roof. Inner door double chamfered and rebated with moulded head and C19 door. Vestry and organ chamber, C20, has single corner and single side wall buttress and single gargoyle to east. North side has shouldered door to east and to west, a small lancet. To its right, a trefoil light and a paired lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable with cross. East end has string course and sill band. C14 style 5 light lancet with geometrical tracery, shafts, hood mould and mask stops. South side has single corner buttress to east, and 2 lancets with hood moulds. Chantry chapel, C20. Single bay, has sill band and coped east gable. Single corner buttress. East end has C14 style triple lancet with geometrical tracery, coved Tudor arched head and hood mould. South side has a triple lancet with Geometrical tracery, coved square headed reveal and hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has moulded parapet with 4 gargoyles. Corner buttress to west and 4 buttresses to south, gabled, 2 setoffs. South side has 3 late C14 triple lancets with cusped ogee heads, Decorated tracery, chamfered Tudor arched reveals. West end has C14 double lancet with cusped ogee heads and Decorated tracery. South porch is identical to north porch. Nave arcades, C 14, restored, 4 bays. Each has 3 filleted clustered piers and 2 matching responds, with water holding bases and moulded capitals. Arches are chamfered and rebated, with hood moulds. C19 king-post roof has foliate corbels, arch braces, collars and spine beam. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and filleted responds. Tower chamber has west window with stained glass, C19, restored 1919. Bell stage has 3 trefoiled corbels and foliate bosses. North aisle has panelled dado and C19 lean-to roof with arch braces. South aisle has similar roof and to east, C14 arch with moulded octagonal imposts and 2 mask corbels, one C14. Oak screen in C15 style, 1909. South side has east window with stained glass, 1879. To west, window with stained glass panel and Arms, to Roland Dand, 1617. Fragment of Flemish stained glass, C14. Chantry chapel has to east, panelled dado incorporating earlier piscina as aumbry. East window has stained glass, C20. South side has window with stained glass and brass, 1932. Low pitched roof in C15 style. Chancel arch, C19, in C14 style. Moulded arch, pair of filleted shafts with water holding bases, hood mould and mask stops. Chancel north side has C19 arcade, 2 bays, with foliate capitals, hood moulds and angel stops. Left bay contains organ, right bay timber screen. Above, central pair of shields with Arms. East window has stained glass, C19. South side has to east, C19 piscina and aumbry with hood mould. To its right, elaborate triple gabled sedilia with carved tableaux in tympani, 1877. To right again, arch with traceried wooden screen. Monuments include wall monument to Sir John and Lady Lucy Digby, 1684. Shouldered ogee headed frame with inscribed panel and, above draped cartouche with Arms, containing 2 life-size effigies. Arch-top wall tablet, 1731. Classical style wall monument with Corinthian pilasters and scrolled Arms, to John Digby, 1747. Scrolled and draped cartouche with putti and skull, early C18. Tablet with Corinthian pilasters, apron with Arms, and broken pediment with bust, to Johannis Neale, 1725. Wall tablets, 1761 and 7 C19. Charity board, early C19. Brass C19 and C20. Pair of sculptured heads from gravestone, C14. Fittings include pillar piscina with round stem, flanking shafts, square top and base. Font, C14, restored, octagonal plinth, stem with water holding base, round tub, C19 conical wooden cover. C19 ashlar pulpit, octagonal, with traceried panels, on figure carved corbel. C19 wooden lectern. Shaped, moulded C19 mahogany benches with fleur de lys finials. Panelled stalls, early C20. Armchair with chip-carved back, mid C17.
Boundary wall. C18 and C19. Coursed rubble and dressed stone. Gabled ashlar coping. L-Plan. South side has small gateway with scrolled wrought iron overthrow and lamp holder. Included for group value only.
Sarcophagus. Mid C18. Ashlar. Rectangular base of 4 steps, formerly with railing. Sarcophagus has rebated corners, moulded top edge and hipped lid. Inscribed panels on three sides, mainly illegible. West side has wreathed cartouche with Arms.
Headstone. 1665. Ashlar. Chamfered top corners. Inscribed '1665 Jane Witworth buryed November 14'.
Headstone. 1694. Chest tomb 1772. Ashlar. Headstone has scrolled shaped top. To John Eare Senior. Chest tomb has moulded panelled sides and top. Inscribed panel to south. To Edward Willey.
Headstone. 1682. Ashlar. Shouldered arched top. Inscribed ‘Here lieth the body of Arthur Caulton Senior who died December the 8(?) 1682’.