Mansfield Woodhouse
St Edmund


Click the numbers in the key plan for details of the items.







Key to Glass

1.East Window (chancel)

The window of five lights, depicting the Ascension of Our Lord, was probably placed in the church in 1878. It is of the Burne-Jones school which began the idea of putting as many figures as possible into the framework.

Maker unknown.

2.East window (Lady Chapel)

Detail Detail Detail

This window of three lights was presented by the Mothers’ Union and the Church of England Men's Society (CEMS) in 1938. It commemorates three groups who used to meet in the church. They are, left to right, Men’s Society (which depicts St Oswald, King and saint), the Mothers’ Union (which depicts the Virgin Mary and Child) and the Catechism class (depicting St Chad, Bishop and Saint with Lichfield Cathedral in his arms).

Maker unknown.

3.South window (Lady Chapel)

'Wisdon' Detail St Edmund 'Charity' Maker's mark

This window depicts Sherwood Forest with rich greenery, squirrels, rabbits and crows, including a pit top scene and St Edmund's church. The window was dedicated on 17 September 1932 and the Mansfield Reporter, reporting on the service, provides a description:

‘The window, which was constructed by the Nottingham firm of Messrs. Hinchcllffe, Hincks and Burnell, Ltd., is of a very beautiful design in three panels. The centre panel shows St. Edmund, the Saxon king and martyr, lashed by his legs to an oak tree, the branches of which spread into the tops of the other panels. This symbolises strength and steadfastness. The left panel typifies wisdom and the right charity. There are trees in the background representing Sherwood Forest.'

It is in memory of John Archibald Cartwright Taylor, a churchwarden for 15 years and managing director at Sherwood Colliery for 20 years. The inscription (on a brass plaque) reads:

To the memory of John Archibald Taylor, warden of this
church for 15 years who died at Gibraltar March 20th 1932 aged 66 years.
This window was erected by members of his family together with the
directors, officials and workmen of the Sherwood Colliery.

The inscription along the bottom of the window reads:

Well done, thou good and faithful servant

To the glory of God and in loving memory of John Archibald Taylor.

A maker's mark in the form of a crown is visible. This is the mark of Hinchliffe, Hincks and Burnell Ltd of Nottingham.

4.South Aisle window

Detail Detail Detail

This window of three lights is dated 1879 and depicts Jesus with women and children and is in memory of Edmund and Mary Sykes. The inscription along the bottom of the window reads:

To the Glory of God and in memory of Edmund and Mary Sykes · 1879

Maker unknown.

5.South Aisle window

Detail Sketch of glass
by Fellows (1904)
Flemish glass,

This window of three lights is dedicated to Rowland Dand and his second wife Margery, who died in 1617, and features his arms. The inscription states:

Roland Dand gen’ :
et margeria uxor
eius 2a: quae obit 13
May .     1617

A detailed description of the glass is provided by Fellows (1904):

'In the vestry window is a nice piece of old stained glass, showing the arms of Roland Dand, impaling those of his second wife, Margery, daughter of Lawrance Woodnoth, of Shennington, co. Chester, with quarterings, which, however, are difficult to make out, but the fourth is gules, on a bend cotised or, three birds. The Dand arms are vert, a griffin segreant or, in chief three scallops of the last, and were granted to Rowland Dand in 1575. A pedigree of the Dands is given in the Visitations of Notts. The Woodnoth arms are argent, a cross voided sable. This shield of arms in the window is surrounded by coloured glass representing fruit, flowers, etc.; it has evidently been broken at some time. One piece of fancy glass is now doing duty for a quartering in the wife's arms. It is well that a record should be made of this piece of old glass, for whilst it is permitted to retain its present position, it is liable to be shattered at any moment should a gust of wind blow the window to. It might with advantage be transferred, and fixed in one of the windows in the side chapel, which need beautifying. Besides this glass there is also a mural tablet to this couple on the north wall of the chancel, with two shields of arms beneath. He died 1623, having survived his wife six years.'

The glass was moved from the vestry to the window in the south wall of the south aisle shortly afterwards. This was recorded by a brass plaque inscription which reads:

To the Glory of GOD this old glass formerly in
the Chancel was repaired and placed here in AD 1905

Resting on the sill of this window is a framed piece of Flemish glass thought to be dated around 1300.

Maker unknown.

6.Tower window

Detail Detail

This window of two lights depicts Jesus telling the disciples to:

Suffer the little children to come unto me

and the baptism of the Ethiopian by Philip, which reads

Finally went down into the water both Philip and the Eunuch and he baptised him.

The window is in memory of the Rev Alfred Brook (1828-1870), first vicar of Mansfield Woodhouse, and was donated by the Misses Paget. An inscription runs along the bottom of the window but is now almost totally illegible.

Maker unknown.