For this church:
Although Lowdham Church has 16 windows, many of them very beautiful in their simplicity and the light that they give, there are only three that have stained glass in them, and they are on the south side of the church. Two of these windows are situated in the South Aisle and the third, which is a small lancet window behind the priest’s desk, is in the nave.
The Storer Window
This Victorian window is dedicated to Dr John Storer who lived at Lowdham Grange until his death in 1891. It was commissioned in his memory by his widow. The glassmakers were the London firm of Ward Hughes a well-known firm in London in Victorian times. Their work was of a very high standard, especially the figure composition and colouring. The window is signed in the bottom left hand corner. The firm had a considerable contract to provide work for Lincoln Cathedral and would be well known in the area.
This two-light window depicts Christ healing the sick with one of the apostles standing behind him. The figure of Christ is in the right-hand light. The clothing is very rich with iridescent colours when the sun shines through the window. Christ is wearing a pale lemon undergarment and red and gold cloak. The left hand light shows a mother and holding up her sick child appealing for help to cure him, behind her are three adult male figures representing the deaf, lame and blind. Above these figures is an architectural canopy with three angels in each light. Below there are angels bearing a scroll, which reads Healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. The inscription reads ‘in the glory of God and in loving memory of Charles Storer M.D born April 26th 1813 died February 6th 1891. Elizabeth his widow dedicates this window’ Dr Storer was living at Lowdham Grange at this time with his extended family. Two of his daughters Mary and Charlotte are also buried in the churchyard.
There is also a grave outside the small chancel door dedicated to John Storer BA Cantab, eldest son of the late Rev J Storer of Hawksworth, 1836-1900. He was the nephew of John Storer.
Their Grandfather, Dr John Storer M.D. F.R.S was the first physician to the Nottingham General Hospital. He came to Nottingham in 1781 after serving in the Army Medical Service. He took an active part in the foundation of the hospital and later founded and helped to operate the Sneinton Lunatic Asylum. He was also the first president of the Bromley House Subscription Library Dr Storer lived at Thurland Hall from where he carried on his practice. He retired to Lenton Firs in Wollaton Park. His wife was the daughter of the vicar of Hawksworth and when he died he was buried in a vault near the chancel. By then his son had the living at Hawksworth. The Rev John Storer was only 57 years when he died the same year as his Father and he left three sons Charles, John and George. Dr John Storer was the son of Charles and lived in Lowdham Grange as his country residence whilst working in Nottingham.
The Good Shepherd window is a modern window installed in 2001 in memory of Roy Birch’ who was for a period of time churchwarden. It was designed by Michael David Stokes of Edwinstowe. It is a two-light window, depicting Jesus as the Good Shepherd holding a lamb with the words, ‘To the Glory of God’. In the right hand light is a pastoral scene representing the Cocker Beck that runs through the village and a grazing flock of sheep. The dedication is in loving memory of Roy Birch 1930-2001, churchwarden and friend.
The small lancet window we know very little about except that it is Victorian created with blue, green red and some yellow glass in a white ground. About ten years ago it was restored in memory of Rose Holmes a long-standing member of the choir.