View of the church from the south-west


St Luke

Nottingham Archdeaconry

East Bingham Deanery


St Luke’s Church was built by the Earl of Gainsborough in 1792-93 to replace the demolished church of St Wilfrid’s.

Built in red brick the church consists of a chancel, nave, west porch and three stage tower 63 feet high containing a clock and five bells. The entrance is under the tower. The roof is very low-pitched. There are four round-arched louvered bell openings in the tower, classical moulded eaves, cornice and a weathervane.

On each side of the nave are three round-arched window openings with raised cills, key stones and plain leaded lights. The middle window on the north side of the nave is blind. There are three similar windows in the chancel, one at the east end with more decorative glass, and a blind window on each side. Part way up the tower is a similar west window. There is an impost band to this which continues around the tower and becomes an eaves band to the nave.

Pevsner described the chancel as ‘nicely, domestically panelled’. The pulpit is of mahogany.

The original box pews were replaced with open seats in 1858.

Particular thanks to Jo Perrett for research on this entry


Work has been done on this entry but some pages are incomplete. If you can add information to help complete the entry, please contact our Research Manager.