View of the church from the south

Holme Pierrepont

St Edmund

Nottingham Archdeaconry

West Bingham Deanery


This stone medieval church has a chancel, nave, south porch, south aisle, south-east mortuary chapel, and an embattled Perpendicular west tower (with spire) containing five bells.

The great feature is the south aisle with classical porch, both of 1666, and three-light windows with ‘posthumous Gothic tracery’. The rest of the church is 13th century apart from the chancel, restored in 1878-81 by T C Hine in an elaborate Decorated style.

There is a complete Early English arcade with quatrefoil piers, double-chamfered arches and corbel heads.

The font is 15th century octagonal with shields but no quatrefoils. A stained glass east window is by Powell & Sons in 1913.

The great attraction of the church is the array of monuments, mainly to the Pierreponts. These include: Sir Henry Pierrepont (d1499), in full armour, a good alabaster, ’probably the best of its kind in the country’; Sir Henry Pierrepont (d1615) husband of Frances Cavendish, Bess of Hardwick’s daughter - A splendid tomb by John Smythson, son of the architect Robert Smythson; a large wall monument, with skull and crossbones for Princess Gertrude of Kingston (d1649); John Oldham, poet (d1683) - a tablet surrounded by swags, etc, as good as work by Grinling       Gibbons; the Duke of Kingston (c1806) by Michael Taylor of York; Hon Evelyn Pierpont (d1802) by Flaxman; William Saltrend (d1811) profile of a woman reading, also by Flaxman; and Lady Sophia Pierrepont (d1823) by Pierre Bazzanti of Florence.

This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.