Headon cum Upton St Peter

Official Listing Description

SK 77 NW





Church of St. Peter

Grade I

Parish church. C13, C15, 1858, restored 1885 by G. Somers Clark Jnr. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Single stack to east nave. Coped east gable with single cross finial. Buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, north vestry, south porch and chancel. The angle buttressed low C13 tower of 2 stages with bands is set on a shallow plinth on the west side and is topped with C19 embattlements. The west wall has an arched, re-cut, 3 light window with intersecting tracery, hood mould and head label stops. There is evidence of an earlier arched opening over. Above is a single lancet. The north and south sides each have a large blocked chamfered arch with evidence of an earlier arch over flanked by single corbels. The north side has 2 further corbels. Above, to north and south, are single lancets and above this on the south side is a single rectangular opening. The east wall has evidence of an earlier nave. The north aisle north wall is set on a moulded plinth with string course over and has a blocked pointed chamfered arched doorway. To the left are 2 arched windows each with 3 C15 arched and cusped lights being partly re-cut. The clerestory has 3 similar windows. The vestry is set on a chamfered plinth and is coped at the east with a kneeler. There is a single C19 2 light cusped window under a flat arch. The east wall has a moulded arched doorway with plank door and small shield over. The north chancel has a single arched C15 window with 3 cusped lights. The angle buttressed east end is set on a chamfered plinth and has a single C19 window with 3 cusped lights, tracery, hood mould, head label stops and finial. A string course runs under. In the gable apex is a single blind recessed quatrefoil panel. The south chancel has a single arched C19 window with 2 cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single C15 arched window with 3 cusped and arched lights. The south aisle hasa coped east and west parapets, and is set on a shallow,chamfered plinth to east and south. The east wall has a single, similar, smaller C15 3light window with 2 similar windows in the south wall. The diagonally buttressed porch with coped gable and decorative kneelers is set on a chamfered plinth and is dated 1858. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered arched entrance is supported on foliate corbels. The hood mould has decorative label stops and over is the dated shield. The chamfered arched inner doorway has a Cl9 hood mould with decorative label stops. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 3 bay C13 nave arcades with octagonal pioers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Over, to the nave sides, are hood moulds with C19 figurative label stops. To the north west and south east are single capitals decorated with nailhead moulding. The north east and south west have plain moulded capitals, all are supported on carved human heads. The double chamfered tower arch has a hood mould over with C19 foliate label stops. The chancel arch is double chamfered. In the south chancel wall is a piscina and in the north wall the arched vestry doorway. The font is C19 with elaborate diaper moulding to the sides and carved lilies under. Restored early C17 pulpit with decorative panels, the decorative rear panel and 2 wild-man head brackets support the decorative tester. There is the base of a C16 oak chest and a further C16 panelled oak chest with stylised and heavily moulded decoration to each panel. The remaining furniture is C19. In the south chancel is a monument to Elizabethae and I. Shilleto, 1782. There is an early C14 knight in sunk relief, a band decorated with a heraldic shield runs across the body so that only the top part and feet resting on a dog are visible. The nave roof with bosses is panelled and is C19