For this church:
St Michael and All Angels
East Bingham Deanery
This small church probably has Norman origins as the blocked south arcade contains round arches with some nailhead decoration and a 'still wholly Norman-looking corbel head.'
It is a stone building consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled tower at the west end containing two bells (dated 1702 and 1856). Originally there was a south aisle; it was demolished in 1786 and the arcade blocked up. The present appearance of the church is primarily the result of the restoration of 1855-7, when the tower was re-built and the exterior plastered in imitation of ashlar.
There are 17th century altar rails with balusters. There are mural monuments to Francis Launder (1822), by Joseph Hall the Younger of Derby, and W.F.W. Norton (1865). A stained glass window in the chancel in memory of the Rev. Robert Weatherell, Rector 1851-83, was presented by his widow, who also gave an American organ in 1895.
Particular thanks to Andy Nicholson and Timothy Southall and for research on this entry