For this church:
Edwalton Holy Rood
Core fabric probably C13/14th with C14th S.aisle arcade
N. wall complex, core probably C13th
Chancel rebuilt 1894 by Brewill & Bailey
Tower probably C16th, brick, English bond
Extension built on N.side of chancel 1996
Significant Interior Features
Awaiting detailed analysis
Timbers and roofs
Cast-Iron ‘H’ frame installed by Taylor’s of Loughborough in 1924. Extended in 1994.
Not scheduled for preservation. Grade 5.
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
A geophysical (resistivity) survey and a watching brief was undertaken on the area disturbed by the 1996 extension (John Samuels Archaeological Consultants report no. 146/97/002). No significant archaeological stratigraphy was identified but a large number of inhumation burials were located. A low resistance anomaly in the S.W. corner of the site, identified in the geophysical survey, was located but its significance was unclear.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered low-moderate and below the present interior floors is considered to be high.
Exterior:Largely inhumation burials, medieval to C19th. Evidence for the former priest’s house should be present.
Interior:Nave largely undisturbed, has high potential for surviving medieval stratigraphy. Tower and chancel both rebuilt post-medieval and therefore have lower potential.
Standing fabric of nave has high potential as complex, multiphase construction features exist.