For this church:
St Paul and St Timothy
Nottingham North Deanery
Before St Paul’s church was built Daybrook was partly in the parish of St Mary’s, Arnold and partly in St John’s, Carrington. In the late 1880s Mission Services were held in a local school while funds were being raised for a Mission Church. This opened in 1890 on Church Drive next to the prominent site at the corner of Mansfield Road, which would be used for the new church of St Paul. Work began on the latter in June 1893 and it was consecrated in February 1896. The architect was J L Pearson who designed a church in ‘a free rendering of the Decorated style’, with his usual attractive spire which was not added until 1897. Thanks mainly to the generosity of Col Charles Seely and John Robinson, both later knighted, the church was quickly erected and completed. Mrs Seely, who took a keen interest in the architecture, died in 1894 and her tomb is the most elaborate feature in the church.
The original dedication was simply St Paul’s but it was re-dedicated as St Paul’s and St Timothy’s in 1993 when the latter, a daughter church, was opened in Byron Street. It replaced Cecil Hall, long used as an annexe of St Paul’s.
Particular thanks to Terry Fry for research on this entry